Visual Studio 2019 for Mac Platform Targeting and Compatibility
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac contains many new and exciting features and IDE productivity enhancements to support cross-platform desktop app development, cross-platform mobile development, Azure development, web and cloud development, and more. To try out Visual Studio 2019 for Mac, see the Downloads page. For more information about everything that's new in this release, see the Visual Studio 2019 for Mac release notes.
For information on the system requirements for installing and running the Visual Studio 2019 for Mac family of products, see the Visual Studio 2019 for Mac System Requirement page.
Visual Studio for Mac provides cutting-edge tools and technologies to create apps that take advantage of the latest platform capabilities, for macOS, Android, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS, as well as web sites, services, and games.
- Developing apps for Android
- Developing apps for iOS
- Developing apps for macOS
- Developing apps for ASP.NET Core
- Developing apps for Unity
- Developing apps for other technologies and platforms
- Mobile app development
- Share code between Android and iOS with Xamarin
- Native iOS and Android UI designers
- Shared UI with Xamarin.Forms
- Protect Android code with Embedded Assemblies
- Visualize and debug apps with Xamarin Inspector *
- Profile your apps with Xamarin Profiler *
- Cross-platform "desktop" development
- macOS app development
- .NET Core development
- Web application development
- ASP.NET Core development
- HTML, CSS, JSON web editor tooling
- Cloud development
- ASP.NET Core WebAPI development
- Publish ASP.NET Core projects to Azure directly from the IDE
- Game development
- Unity game development
* Requires Visual Studio Enterprise for Mac
Visual Studio for Mac does not support Windows client projects like Windows Forms, WPF, or UWP.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac enables you to build native Android apps using Xamarin and C#. You can also use Unity to build Android games.
You can use the Android SDK Manager to easily obtain the Android SDK and Android API levels you'd like for development. You can download additional API levels separately using the Android SDK Manager.
For more information, see Android development with Visual Studio for Mac.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac enables you to build native iOS apps using Xamarin and C#. You can also use Unity to build iOS games.
For more information, see iOS development with Visual Studio for Mac.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac enables you to build console applications and Cocoa (desktop) applications for macOS.
For more information, see macOS development with Visual Studio for Mac.
ASP.NET Core is an open-source and cross-platform framework for building modern cloud based internet connected applications, such as web apps and services, IoT apps, and mobile backends.
Visual Studio for Mac Tools for Unity is a free Visual Studio extension that turns Visual Studio for Mac into a powerful tool for developing cross-platform games and apps with the Unity platform.
Visual Studio 2019 for Mac also supports the following platforms and technologies. For more information, see https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/mac/.
- .NET Core 2.2. For more information see https://dot.net/core
Use the Provide a Suggestion entry in Visual Studio for Mac's help menu or visit Visual Studio for Mac's suggestion page on Developer Community directly. From here you can add new requests or vote on existing ideas. To report a problem, follow these instructions.