Team Foundation Server 2018 Update 1 Release Notes
In this article, you will find information regarding the newest release for Team Foundation Server 2018. Click the button to download.
To learn more about Team Foundation Server 2018, see the Team Foundation Server Requirements and Compatibility page.
Direct upgrade to Team Foundation Server 2018 Update 1 is supported from TFS 2012 and newer. If your TFS deployment is on TFS 2010 or earlier, you will need to perform some interim steps before upgrading to TFS 2018 Update 1.
You do not need to upgrade to TFS 2018 RTM before upgrading to TFS 2018 Update 1.
If you are accessing this page from a non-English language version, and want to see the most up-to-date content, please visit this Release Notes page in English.
You can switch the page language at the bottom of this page. Click the icon, search for your language, or select from the list of available languages.
We’d love to hear from you! You can report a problem and track it through Developer Community and get advice on Stack Overflow. As always, if you have ideas on things you’d like to see us prioritize, head over to UserVoice to add your idea or vote for an existing one.
Release Date: February 20, 2018
What's New in this Release
This is an update for Team Foundation Server 2018. It includes updates and bug fixes, including security and accessibility fixes, since Team Foundation Server 2018 RTM.
- GVFS caching support in the TFS proxy.
- Access information pertinent to test cases in your automated tests when running in the CI/CD pipeline.
- Automated tests that use TestCase as a data source can now be run using the VSTest task.
GVFS caching support in the TFS proxy
The TFS proxy can serve as a Git Virtual File System (GVFS) cache. GVFS virtualizes the filesystem beneath your Git repository so that Git tools see what appears to be a normal repository when, in fact, the files are not actually present on disk. GVFS only downloads files as they are needed. The TFS proxy can now power these downloads, allowing you to put caches close to your distributed development teams.
Access information pertinent to test cases in your automated tests when running in the CI/CD pipeline
When running automated tests in the CI/CD pipeline using Test Plan/Test Suite or when running automated tests from the Test hub, crucial TCM properties can now be accessed using the TestContext object. To use this, you need Visual Studio 2017.5 or higher. This includes:
Automated tests that use TestCase as a data source can now be run using the VSTest taskhttps://review.docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/release-notes/2017/nov-28-vsts#test
The following pre-requisites are needed:
- Visual Studio 2017.6 or higher. If you are using the Test Platform Installer task to run tests using the VSTest task, make sure you pick the appropriate version of the package.
- Create a PAT that is authorized for the scope “Work Items (full)”.
- Add a secure Build or Release variable called Test.TestCaseAccessToken with the value set to the PAT created in step 2.
Note that tests that use TestCase as a data source cannot be used with the Run Functional Tests task.
- If a repository is deleted while Search is indexing it, the job fails with GitRepositoryNotFoundException.
- During the first indexing of a TFVC repository, there may be folder drops and indexing taking a long time.
- The Search indexing patch job may fail if there are many files that fail to download.
- When a code file fails indexing and continues to fail during retries, you will see "Lots of files rejected by Elasticsearch, failing this job" error messages indefinitely.
- Customers see a permanent message of "One or more projects in your account are still being indexed, and so you are not seeing any results". With this update, the error will appear a maximum of ten times for a given set of files.
- No links are shown on a work item if there is a TFVC link from the work item and the TFVC artifact has been deleted.
- Identity information may not correctly synchronize to work items.
- Allowed Values custom fields may not work when ALLOWEDVALUES is defined inside a WHEN rule.
Build and Release
- The build summary does not show associated work items if the associated changes are empty.
- Pausing a build definition does not pause gated builds.
- The Local path under $(build.sourcesDirectory) gets unexpectedly populated when configuring the Get Sources step of a build definition.
- Save of a release definition gives a "service endpoint not available or not accessible" error, even when there is no change to the endpoints used in the tasks.
- In the release pipeline, rearranging the order in which parallel environments are visualized is not possible. To fix this, an option has been added in the environment panel of the editor to move an environment up/down.
- A SQL exception may occur when queuing an agent pool maintenance job to an agent with a previous version.
- The Run Timeout test setting is not being honored.
- The Test Category filter does not work when running tests in distibuted mode.
- The Test Plan filter does not show if the filter query is invalid.
- Cannot extract more than ten steps from a Test Case into a Shared Step.
- When a build completes with no test results, an incorrect message is shown, directing users to Visual Studio Test tasks.
- The Go button on the Test Runs page is clipped in Russian and French.
- "An error occurred while trying to load this content" error is displayed in the My Favories page after making a Test Plan a favorite.
- The context menu for assigning testers is missing.
- The total number of hidden tests are not accurate after deleting existing test cases on the task board.
- The count in the Test Chart is incorrect when rolling up from child test plans.
- Users cannot delete Test Plans and Test Suites when having manage test plans / test suites permissions or delete test runs permissions.
- Hierarchical views of ordered test cases are not shown when publishing test results.
- There is no error when an inserted file fails to upload due to a large size.
- The color picker is not visible when configuring the Chart for Work Items.
- The warehouse jobs are running after opting out of reporting during an upgrade to TFS 2018.
Upgrade and Installation
- ArgumentNullException is thrown will running the Migrating CFD data step when upgrading to TFS 2018.
- "Invalid length for a Base-64 char array or string" error occurs in the Migrate to latest CoD Migrations (On prem) step when upgrading from TFS 2017 to TFS 2018 with a large number of NuGet package versions.
- The upgrade to TFS 2018 can take a long time when configuring scheduled backups.
- The reporting server and analytics server values are not populated in the upgrade wizard.
- The upgrade to TFS 2018 causes duplicate Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Warehouse.OptimizeDatabases jobs.
- "TF50620: The Team Foundation identity scope
does not exist" error when upgrading TFS.
- The Configuration Wizard fails when the machine names includes Unicode Extension B characters.
- "1 error(s) occurred while executing upd_AnalyticsToDev15M108PreSchema.sql script" error when upgrading to TFS 2018.
- "Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." error when upgrading to TFS 2018.
- Configuring Search fails when a team project collection is offline.
- Upgrades to TFS 2018 take a long time when there are many NuGet packages.
- The prc_CopyContainerItemFiles job may fail due to exceeding the timeout when upgrading to TFS 2018.
- The Team Foundation Server Activity Logging Administration job fails on a team project collection after timing out.
- The certificate is invalid when using Git clients with OpenSSL if using a self-signed SSL certificate generated by TFS.
- "TF246017: Team Foundation Server could not connect to the database." error occurs when trying to unconfigure reporting in the TFS Admin Console when the warehouse database is not reachable.
- "Could not find validator for token" error occurs when configuring an agent after changes to a TFS hostname, such as changing the public URL or moving the TFS databases.
- tfsconfig offlinedetach does not warn if the collection appears offline.
- Unable to save a new notification when using one of the notification templates, such as work item is created if the user locale is not in English.