Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 Release Notes
This is not the latest version of Visual Studio. To download the latest release, please visit the current release notes for Visual Studio 2017.
All prior releases of the Tools for Apache Cordova are incompatible with Update 5. If you have previously installed a Tools for Apache Cordova CTP extension, you must uninstall that extension before installing Visual Studio 2013 Update 5. If you require Apache Cordova support, we encourage you to try Visual Studio 2015.
Download Visual Studio 2013
To download Visual Studio 2013 Update 5, click on the download button. The files are downloaded from our free Dev Essentials subscription-based site. See the Dev Essentials page for information on our free comprehensive developer program and services.
Visual Studio 2013 Update 5
released on July 20, 2015
What's New in this Release
Cloud-based load testing from Azure datacenters worldwide
Setting up the infrastructure required to run load testing by using the Visual Studio Team Foundation Service just got easier: Now, you can perform cloud-based load testing from any of the supported Azure datacenters around the world.
For more information about choosing a location for your load test, see Load Test Enhancements in Release Candidate of Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise edition.
Current iteration query token
You now can run queries in Visual Studio with the @currentIteration token on Visual Studio Online or Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2015.
Team Project Rename support for Local Workspaces
We included the ability to update local workspaces after renaming a team project. Performing a get or check-in automatically corrects the workspace mapping so that it uses the new team project name.
For more information about renaming a team project, see Rename a project.
- We have added support for capturing depth buffers on version 9.3 hardware. This enables support for graphics debugging Unity-based applications that run on Windows Phone.
Visual Studio IDE
- A critical notification in the Notification Hub may indicate that you must obtain or renew a developer license. If you dismiss this notice, and then you open another project, the critical notification appears again.
- When you build a Windows Store application that requires WinRT registrations, you no longer receive the System.TypeLoadException exception at runtime.
- Assume that you have set your default browser to Spartan on Windows 10 Insider Preview. When you press F1 on a keyword or a tool window, you may find all online help calls now fail and you cannot get to any online help content.
- When you have been previously connected to another collection, you could not branch unless Visual Studio is restarted. With this Update this issue no longer exists.
- With this update, you will no longer see an unhelpful message after attempting to check in a set of pending changes to a team project that was previously renamed.
- Some edits are no longer lost in your server workspace for pending changes in the client.
Team Foundation Server
- SharePoint documents that have names that contains too many Unicode characters no longer open incorrectly when you try to open them by using Team Explorer.
- In Team Foundation Server 2013 Update 4, you cannot submit feedback by using Feedback Client when you are at the stakeholder license level. However, in Team Foundation Server 2013 Update 5, you can submit feedback by using Feedback Client when you are at the stakeholder license level.
- When you change a work item simultaneously with another user in Web Access, you no longer experience one of the following issues:
- A work item is saved successfully. However, if you changed the State field and you set the Reason field to a non-default value, the Reason field value is reverted to the default.
- A work item is not saved and you receive a "Field 'State' cannot be empty" error message.
- You are no longer blocked from using the warehouse when you have data that is identical except for differences in white space (for example, "Debug" and "Debug ").
- The tf merge command no longer freezes in an infinite loop in prc_PendMerge for cyclically renamed folders that have previously deleted subfolders.
- As a Git user, you can now perform a shallow clone of an annotate tag against a Git repo that is hosted on a TFS instance.
- Work Items that have DateTime field values entered outside of the current daylight saving time period no longer appear incorrectly in Web Access.
- When you restore database backups by using TFS backup tool, both the log file (.ldf) and data file (.mdf) are no longer restored to same location if SQL Server is set for different locations.
- New performance improvements are made for reports such as "Build success over time," "Burndown dashboard," "Burndown and burn rate," and "Stories overview."
- When you download changes in a remote repository, your configuration file is no longer replaced by a specially crafted file. Your configuration file resides outside the repository. By replacing this file with a bad file, the Git commands could be remapped in order to execute arbitrary commands that run under your credentials. In this situation, a bad file could be introduced to the Git repository.
- If you have permission to view events, you can now receive team notifications if the creator of the team subscription does not have permission to view those events.
- We have improved the performance when you use TFS in Web Access.
- We have improved the display of pinned charts. The legend is no longer hidden and the alignment of the charts is better.
- Certain rules on work items that are related to their attachments and work item links now run correctly.
- If you have a tool that prevents COM from registration during CLR startup (like Fusion logging), you can now disable pull requests in order to allow the Job Agent to run normally.
Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
The WebTest recorder plug-in for Internet Explorer does not load when it tries to record a web performance test from Visual Studio. To work around this issue, delete the following registry keys:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\Component Categories
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\Component Categories64
When you upgrade to Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 from an earlier version, you may find that existing Unit Test Application (Windows Phone) Visual C# projects will not build. To work around this issue, repair the Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 installation.
Visual Studio 2013 Releases
You can view all versions of Visual Studio 2013 release notes:
- July 20, 2015 -- Visual Studio 2013 Update 5
- November 12, 2014 -- Visual Studio 2013 Community
- November 12, 2014 -- Visual Studio 2013 Update 4
- August 4, 2014 -- Visual Studio 2013 Update 3
- May 12, 2014 -- Visual Studio 2013 Update 2
- April 2, 2014 -- Visual Studio 2013 Update 2
- January 20, 2014 -- Visual Studio 2013 Update 1
- October 17, 2013 -- Visual Studio 2013