Visual Studio 2017 for Mac Preview Release Notes
This release is not "go-live" and not intended for use on production computers or for creating production code.
To learn more about other related downloads, see the Downloads page.
We would love to hear from you! You can report a problem through the Report a Problem option in Visual Studio for Mac IDE. You can track your feedback in the Developer Community portal. For suggestions, let us know through UserVoice.
- August 23, 2018 – Visual Studio 2017 for Mac version 7.7 Preview 1
- September 12, 2018 – Visual Studio 2017 for Mac version 7.7 Preview 2
released August 23, 2018
For this release we fixed the following Code Editor issues:
- Fixed an issue where incorrect colors were displayed when dragging a document tab.
- Fixed an issue where Ctrl+Right and Ctrl+Left would skip too much text in the editor.
- Fixed an issue where Cmd-click navigation sometimes gets stuck.
- Fixed an issue where Cmd does not light up navigation for symbol under mouse
- Fixed an issue where Breakpoints and caret location were not displayed in the scrollbar.
- Fixed an issue where Extract Interface dialog layout would flicker.
- Fixed an issue where "Copy comments from base" refactoring would suggest including comments from the base class library.
- Fixed an issue where it was not possible to see the mouse over content when using the keyboard.
- Fixed an issue where
CopyCommentsFromBaseCodeRefactoringProviderwould throw an XML parse exception.
- Fixed an issue where an error in document creation causes a cascade of errors leading to a crash.
- Fixed an issue where the text Editor outdents to hard left instead of going back an indent level.
- Fixed an issue where the editor would not render whitespace marks for virtual space.
- Fixed an issue where the regex completion provider would crash.
- Fixed an issue where C# completion improperly escapes \ within @ strings.
- Fixed an issue where code completion would incorrectly insert code.
- Fixed an issue where the IntelliSense window would obscuring code when "Show function type signatures" is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where Minimap could be turned off.
- Fixed an issue where Razor completion would not commit the change if the caret is immediately followed by '}'.
- Fixed an issue where renaming a class would ask to reload the file.
- Fixed an issue where "[TestCaseSource ("xzy")]" was not seen as a test in the text editor.
- Fixed an issue where Alt-shift-left/right would not extend the selection.
- Fixed an issue where an error would be logged for the Text Mate text editor extension.
- Fixed an issue where it was not possible to configure tabs in XAML files with an EditorConfig file.
- Fixed an issue where the Tab size in the editor was wrong.
- 'Find Reference Usages' is now supported.
- 'Find Implementing Symbols' is now supported.
- Fixed an issue where a fatal exception could occur when building a F# project.
- Fixed an issue where the IDE would hang when getting extension methods for F#.
This release includes the following bug fixes and improvements for Xamarin:
- The Device Manager startup time has been optimized.
- The available system images now reflect the available options for the selected manifest. This enables Android P support for the device manager when the google manifest is selected in the SDK manager.
- The device manager no longer relies on the
JAVA_HOMEenvironment variable being set and it is exported it for processes that require it.
- Fixed an issue where AVD Rename would crash the app for the custom
- Fixed an issue where the Device Manager would not indicate there had been system image installation failure.
- Fixed an issue where jarsigner would be used instead of apksigner.
- Fixed an issue where it would not be possible to run an Android app in the emulator.
- Building an Android project when the Java SDK cannot be found is correctly reported as a build error instead of reporting that the Android SDK cannot be found.
- Fixed an error updating an Xcode project.
- Fixed an issue where Automatic iOS provisioning profile dialog did not have clickable links.
- Fixed an issue where archiving would use a generic iOS device target even if a specific device is selected.
- Added support for changing the .NET Framework version to use for "Full Framework" projects. Projects are no longer limited to just .NET 4.5.
- Fixed an issue where the version control Diff view would not show the correct changed text.
- Fixed an issue where the Class pad shows compiler generated fields and constructors.
- Fixed an issue where an error was logged when the news feed could not be retrieved.
- Fixed an issue where the updater would not display "Checking for updates..." until the channel was changed.
- Fixed an issue where the Sign in button for publishing to Azure was not rendered correctly.
- Fixed an issue where running unit tests always ran a full build.
- Fixed an issue with running NUnit 3 tests due to a misnamed test runner application.
- The Welcome page is no longer displayed when loading a solution from Finder.
released September 12, 2018
- We aligned quote matching behavior to match Visual Studio.
- We fixed an issue where Cut and Paste would not convert
- We fixed an issue where code snippets would fail to load when there is a malformed snippet.
- We fixed an issue where the indentation in multi-line field initializers is wrong when working with arrays.
- We fixed an issue where .editorConfig doesn't work when using .NET Core Rules.
- We fixed an issue where C# indentation inside method is not aligning with existing code.
- We fixed an issue where there is inconsistent indentation between VS Windows and VS Mac.
- We fixed an issue where it is not obvious which "fix all" is which.
- We fixed an issue where intermittent errors would appear after creating a new .NET Core project.
- We fixed an issue where OutputBase no longer includes the build configuration.
- We fixed an issue where Visual Studio for Mac builds all projects instead of just the executable and dependencies only when running the project.
- We fixed an issue where the project GUID changes when building in VS2017 vs building in Visual Studio for Mac.
- We fixed the following issues:
- there was a loss of focus when configuring the location of a new project.
- is not possible to invoke the "Error" window and "Visual Studio Update" window using the keyboard.
- VoiceOver announces the text typed into password secured fields.
- VoiceOver focus is not moving to the search results along with the keyboard focus.
<Import Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk" Project="Sdk.props" />
<Import Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk" Project="Sdk.targets" />
<Sdk Name="Microsoft.NET.Sdk" Version="1.0.0" />
- We fixed an issue where the Feedback dialog sometimes disappears and is always visible in screenshot.
- We fixed an issue where pressing Tab doesn't complete the statement in .cshtml files.
- We fixed an issue where an error is thrown when inserting new line between
</div>in HTML files.
- We added support for editing Background Modes for WatchKit Extensions.
- We added support for CarPlay assets.
- We fixed an issue where Visual Studio for Mac would fail to show new API levels in Minimum and Target Android version drop downs.
- We improved the error messaging when no JDK is installed. Previously it was not obvious whether the JDK or the Android SDK was not installed.
Team Foundation version control extension – Release Notes
Team Foundation version control support is available as an extension for Visual Studio for Mac. For more information on installing and using the extension, see Connecting to Team Foundation version control.
- Added functionality to change the paths of a WorkingFolder in a Workspace.
- Added hightlights filtering projects or paths.
- Improved the amount and details of the feedback messages, including, but not limited to: validations and errors.
- Minor UI changes.
- Fixed critical bug obtaining the list of projects from a collection on some TFS On premise servers.
- Fixed critical bug getting a bad behavior of the version control menu with a Git project and the TFS addin installed.
- Fixed bug loading remote workspaces.
- Improved Source Explorer experience. The Refresh button has been removed since everything is now refreshed automatically.
- Simplified workspaces creation process.
- Minor UI changes.
- Fixed bug with folders validation. It could affect the creation of workspaces.
- Improved project filter. Added option to filter by server URL and username.
- Improved Source Explorer loading time.
- Improvements to the UI refresh process in Source Explorer. Some of the UI elements that have been improved are: The loading indicator and the enable/disable buttons).
- Added more options to Source Explorer like open folders in Finder, etc.
- Improved Work Items loading time.
- Changes in some literals to adapt TFVC branding.
- More validations: check if the workspace local path exists, etc.
- Minor UI changes.
- Added workspace cache to avoid unnecessary request validating project (big performance improvement).
- Fixed bug opening Source Explorer.
- Fixed bug creating workspaces. The workspace creation takes some time, moved to another thread.
- Fixed bug launching OAuth dialog from Source Explorer.
- Fixed bug relating to adding new files from Source Explorer when there were not any working folder specified in the workspace.
- Fixed some incorrect literals.
- Fixed bug with focus on Open from Source Control dialog.
- Fixed bug that refreshed Source Explorer content after creating a new workspace.
- Fixed bug detecting if a project is in some of the TFS Servers (performance).
- New authentication flow.
- New projects dialog where can easily manage all servers, collections and projects.
- Added auto discover servers and projects functionality.
- Added project filter.
- New dialog where select project paths to map.
- Added files filter.
- Added new dialog to create workspaces.
- Added new option to delete working folders from an existing workspace.
- Included more detailed forms validation.
- Improved error management and user feedback. More detailed messages.
- Improvements in SourceControlExplorer: file types are detected and specific icons are displayed, etc.
- Improved loading times in SourceControlExplorer.
- Added new logs option in the Settings.
- Improvements in addin cache (settings, tokens, etc).
- Minor UI changes and improvements (loading indicators, etc).
- Fixed bug authenticating in some TFS Servers using NTLM.
- Fixed bug creating workspaces related to workspaces cache.
- Fixed bug refreshing workspace after removing a project.
- Fixed bug refreshing OAuth token under some conditions.
- Fixed bug changing Visual Studio theme and minor UI details.
- Fixed bug getting the workspace owner name.
- Fixed bug loading OAuth Webview from some Visual Studio for macOS versions.
- Basic and OAuth Authentication.
- Choose server projects.
- Create, edit and delete Workspaces.
- Map and get.
- Added checkout functionality.
- Added checkin functionality.
- Added rename functionality.
- Added delete folders and files functionality.
- Added lock and unlock functionality.
- Added undo changes functionality.
Visual Studio 2017 for Mac Preview Release Notes History
You can view prior Preview versions of Visual Studio 2017 for Mac release notes: