Introducing Visual Studio subscriptions with GitHub Enterprise
Customers who have Enterprise Agreements (EA) with Microsoft are eligible to purchase a new subscription offer that brings together Visual Studio standard subscriptions and GitHub Enterprise. It's an easy and economical way for Visual Studio subscribers to acquire GitHub Enterprise.
- Innovate at scale with Visual Studio and GitHub by securely bringing open source code, community and best practices into your IDE and workflows.
- Use best in class development tools and services for developers with the most comprehensive set of resources to create, deploy and manage great applications.
- Collaborate, manage pull requests on GitHub Enterprise and review source code where it was written - in the editor.
If your organization is entering a new EA or renewing an existing one, the following options are available:
- Visual Studio Enterprise with GitHub Enterprise
- Visual Studio Professional with GitHub Enterprise
If your organization has an EA that's not due to renew yet, you can purchase the "Step-up" SKU to add GitHub Enterprise to your existing Visual Studio Enterprise or Visual Studio Professional subscriptions. Then when your agreement renews, you can purchase the offer.
Existing SKUs for Visual Studio Enterprise, Visual Studio Professional, and GitHub Enterprise will also continue to be available separately.
To learn more about benefits and options please visit https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/subscriptions/visual-studio-github.
Getting your subscriptions
Visual Studio + GitHub Enterprise subscriptions are assigned in two parts:
- The Visual Studio subscription (Enterprise or Professional)
- The GitHub Enterprise subscription
When your organization purchases subscriptions, they're assigned by administrators. The Visual Studio subscriptions and GitHub Enterprise subscriptions are assigned separately.
If you are assigned a Visual Studio + GitHub subscription, you'll receive an email letting you know that your Visual Studio subscription administrator has assigned a subscription to you. At that point, you will be able to see it at https://my.visualstudio.com/subscriptions.
Since the GitHub Enterprise subscriptions are assigned separately, you may receive a notification from a different administrator, depending on how your company chose to organize their subscriptions. There may also be a delay between assignment of the Visual Studio subscription and the GitHub Enterprise subscription, so don't be concerned if they're not both immediately available. The GitHub subscription assignment process is more complex, and may take several business days to complete.
Getting started with GitHub
If you're new to GitHub, here are some resources that may be helpful to you:
|Subject||GitHub Help Topic|
|General questions/information||GitHub Help|
|What is GitHub? How do I learn more?||About GitHub|
|How do I get started using GitHub?||Bootcamp|
|How do I manage my user account and profile?||Setting up and managing your GitHub user account|
|How do I manage my access to GitHub?||Authenticating to GitHub|
|How does GitHub use and protect my data?||Understanding how GitHub uses and protect your data|
Frequently asked questions
Q: Where is my GitHub subscription?
A: The process for setting up GitHub subscription can take a while. If you've been waiting and haven't heard anything, you may want to reach out to your GitHub administrator. It's possible that your administrator is still working on it, or has elected not to assign a GitHub subscription to you.
Q: How do I reach my GitHub administrator?
A: If you're using GitHub Enterprise Server, you can click on the Support link visible at the bottom of the client to be connected with your administrator.
Q: Do I get the full Visual Studio subscription (Professional or Enterprise) or do I just get the IDE with this offering?
A: Along with a GitHub Enterprise subscription, you receive a full Visual Studio subscription. You receive all the benefits such as software downloads, cloud services, technical support and partner benefits included in those subscriptions, just as you would if the subscription was purchased separately.
- You can find answers to questions on a wide array of GitHub topics at GitHub Help.
- Get help from other GitHub users in the GitHub Community Forum.
- For assistance with sales, subscriptions, accounts and billing for Visual Studio Subscriptions, contact Visual Studio Subscriptions Support.
- Have a question about Visual Studio IDE, Azure DevOps Services or other Visual Studio products or services? Visit Visual Studio Support.
- Get technical support for GitHub Enterprise.
- Visual Studio documentation
- Azure DevOps documentation
- Azure documentation
- Microsoft 365 documentation
If you're new to GitHub, check out the GitHub Learning Lab, which takes you through a series of fun and practical projects, sharing helpful feedback along the way.