Track user assignment and process orders
Visual Studio subscriptions administrators are expected to track Visual Studio usage and process orders for any increases in usage on the schedule outlined in their Volume Licensing agreement or Microsoft Products and Services Agreement. The new Visual Studio Subscriptions Administration portal has made this simple with a helpful tracker showing your available and used licenses.
Your company's obligation to purchase Visual Studio subscriptions takes effect immediately when:
- A license is assigned to a user OR
- A user interacts with Visual Studio software.
Your complete purchase obligation is determined by the maximum number of subscriptions you assign to users. This level of subscription assignment is the high point either in daily user assignments or in users interacting with Visual Studio software, whichever is higher.
- Assigning Visual Studio subscriptions to additional users raises the maximum usage level.
- Visual Studio subscriptions administrators may change the assigned subscription level for an individual, which would constitute a decrease in one assignment and an increase in another. When you lower a subscriber’s assigned subscription level, the individual must immediately stop using and uninstall anything that is only in the higher-level subscription.
- Visual Studio subscriptions administrators may reassign subscriptions from one subscriber to another if 90 days have passed since the time of the original assignment.
To avoid an artificially high level of maximum usage, always do this by first removing the existing subscription and then adding the new one.
- To help you monitor your organization's maximum usage, there is a Maximum Usage report in the Visual Studio Subscriptions Administration Portal.
Monthly Subscriptions, Open License or Open Value
You may be assigning subscriptions through programs like Open License and Open Value or through Visual Studio Marketplace on a monthly basis. If so, then you must process your order for additional users during the month in which users (employees or external contractors) begin interacting with Visual Studio-licensed software.
Enterprise, MPSA and Select Agreements
Microsoft Enterprise Agreements (EA), MPSA and Select Plus Agreements give you flexibility in how you use and license Visual Studio software over time. Visual Studio administrators must make an annual True-Up order to bring their software licenses up to the maximum usage established during the agreement period.
- Visual Studio documentation
- Azure DevOps documentation
- Azure documentation
- Microsoft 365 documentation
Learn more about responsibilities for administrators: