Add an Analytics widget to a dashboard
The Analytics Service is the reporting platform for Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS). Using Analytics, you and your team can gain new insights into the health and status of your work. Follow this short guide to get started in a few simple steps.
In this topic we walk you through the steps for adding the Analytics-based Velocity widget to a dashboard. For a review of all Analytics-based widgets, see Widgets based on the Analytics Service
- You must have a project defined for a VSTS organization. If you don't have one, see Sign up for free.
- You will have to have defined several work items. See Plan and track work.
Install the Analytics extension on your VSTS account
- Go to the Analytics Marketplace extension in VSTS Market place.
- Click to Install the Analytics extension. You might need to log in with your VSTS account.
- Select a VSTS account where you would like to install this extension and confirm. Learn more about Installing extensions for VSTS.
Add the Velocity widget to your dashboard
Congratulations! A new Velocity widget has been added to your dashboard.
You'll gain the greatest utility from the Velocity widget by assigning work to sprints and completing work defined in those sprints. To quickly define sprints, see Schedule sprints.
Learn about your team's velocity using the Velocity widget
The Velocity widget will help you learn how much work your team can complete during a sprint. The widget shows the team's velocity by Story Points, work item count, or any custom field. You can also compare the work delivered against your plan and track work completed late. Using the Velocity widget, you will be able to answer questions like:
- On average, what is the velocity of my team?
- Is my team consistently delivering what we planned?
- How much work can we commit to deliver in upcoming sprints?
Velocity widget showing 8 sprints of data based on Story Points.
Here, the Velocity widget shows this team has a history of closing stories late. It also shows a discrepency between planned and completed work in the past 4 sprints. The team can drill into the data to determine the root causes. After implementing new practices, the team can use the Velocity widget to track their effectiveness.
Learn more about the Velocity widget in Configure and view Velocity charts.