VSTS | TFS 2018 | TFS 2017
Feature availability: The Work item search feature is available from VSTS.
You have two ways to perform work item searches: adhoc and managed. You perform adhoc queries using the work item search box (shown below), whereas you perform managed queries using the built-in search function available from the Work hub, Queries page.
Use adhoc queries when you want to:
- Find a specific work item using its ID or a keyword
- Find one or more work items across all team projects in a fast, flexible manner
- Perform full text search across all work item fields
- Review work items assigned to a specific team member
- Search against specific work item fields to quickly narrow down a list of work items
Determine what key words will support a managed search
With Work item search, searches are performed against a full-text search engine that has indexed all work item fields.
Use managed queries when you want to:
- Review or triage a group of work items
- Perform bulk updates on several work items such as change Assign To, Iteration Path, or more
- Review parent-child or dependent links among work items
- Create a status or trend chart from a flat list query
- Create a list of work items that you'll export to Excel or Project (requires that you have installed the Team Foundation Server Standalone Office Integration 2015 (free) plug-in)
Work item search box context
Note that with Work item search, the work item search box is repurposed to support adhoc queries. In order to initiate a managed search, you need to open the Work>Queries page.