Windows 10 in S mode Driver Requirements
This section describes driver installation requirements and blocked components on Windows 10 S.
To install on Windows 10 in S mode, driver packages must meet the following requirements:
- Driver packages must be digitally signed with a Windows, WHQL, ELAM, or Store certificate from the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard.
- Companion software must be signed with a Microsoft Store Certificate.
- Does not include an *.exe, *.zip, *.msi or *.cab in the driver package that extracts unsigned binaries.
- Driver installs using only INF directives.
- Driver does not call blocked inbox components.
- Drivers does not include any user interface components, apps, or settings. Instead, use Universal applications from the Microsoft Store, for example:
- Driver and firmware servicing uses Windows Update and not an updater app.
Finally, we recommend using a Universal Windows driver where possible. For more info, see:
Blocked inbox components
The following components are blocked from executing on Windows 10 S:
- infdefaultinstall.exe (new addition for Windows 10, version 1709)
[!NEXT] To ensure your Windows app will operate correctly on devices that run Windows 10 in S mode, please review the test guidance for apps.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.