Windows app updates
You will find information on the latest major app updates for Windows 10 released to Windows Insiders here. Currently, app updates are sorted by date in which announcements of the app updates are made. In the future, we will be planning to include more details such as version numbers of the apps.
Note: Not all app updates will be listed here. Only app updates that include major changes e.g. new features, etc. will be noted here.
3/12/2019 - Version 1.0.20701.0
We are excited to provide an early preview into the newest feature for the Your Phone app – phone screen. You can now mirror your Android phone’s screen directly on your PC without having to dig for your phone.
The new phone screen feature gives you easy access to your phone apps on your PC. Whether scheduling a ride to the airport or checking your social updates, do it with ease from the comfort of your PC without having to take your phone out of your bag or go back and forth between devices. Go ahead, give your thumbs a break, and get things done faster with your keyboard and mouse.
This feature will gradually roll out to Insiders on 19H1 builds. It may take a few days for this feature to show up inside the Your Phone app (version 1.0.20701.0 and above). You can use the Your Phone app on any Windows 10 PC running Windows builds 1803 (RS4) or newer and any Android phone running Android version 7.0 or newer. But the new phone screen feature is initially only compatible with a limited set of devices. Surface Go will be the first device in the Surface lineup to preview this feature. We will continue to expand the list of devices over time for both the PC and phone. We look forward to your feedback as we continue to test, learn, and improve the overall experience.
Phone screen requirements:
- Select Android phones* running Android 7.0 or greater (*Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+/S9/S9+).
- Windows 10 PC with a Bluetooth radio that supports low energy peripheral role. How to check if your PC supports this.
- Latest 19H1 preview build (18342+ recommended).
- Android phone must be on, within Bluetooth range of the PC, and connected to the same network as the PC.
Snip & Sketch
3/6/2019 - Version 10.1901.10521.0
We’re in the process of rolling out out a new app update to Skip Ahead. It includes a number of fixes based on your feedback, among which are:
- We fixed an issue that could result in snips being a bit blurry after saving or copying to clipboard.
- We fixed an issue where copying to clipboard would fail if you switched out of the app while the copy operation was in progress.
- We fixed an issue where the suggested file name was unexpectedly a GUID for snips opened from Win + Shift + S toast.
- We’ve added Narrator (screen reader) confirmations when a snip is copied to clipboard.
- We’ve updated the default save format to be png. You can still use the dropdown when saving to pick your desired format if it’s not png.
- We fixed an issue where auto-copy changes to clipboard wasn’t working on return from Snip & Sketch settings.
- We fixed an issue where the app might crash if you closed two app windows one after another.
- We fixed an issue where the default save file location was documents rather than pictures. In fixing this we also fixed an issue where when saving the save dialog wouldn’t remember where you last saved a snip.
The rollout of this app is not tied to the upgrade, so you may see it outside the bounds of this flight.
12/10/2018 - Version 10.1811.3371.0
Bring window snip to your modern snipping experience. Start your snip via your preferred entry point (WIN + Shift + S, Print Screen (if you’ve enabled it), directly from within Snip & Sketch, etc.), and select the window snip option at the top, and snip away! That selection will be remembered the next time you start a snip.
10/31/2018 - Version 10.1809.2964.0
This update brings several improvements, including:
Adding some emphasis. Planning to paste your screenshot somewhere? Does that place have the same color background as the background of your screenshot? When you update to the latest app version you’ll find a new option to add a border to your screenshots – giving them that little bit extra needed to stand out.
Printing! Sometimes you want to keep a physical copy of your screenshots – we hear you that it took too many steps before, and have added a button in the toolbar so you can print directly from the app. (You can also print to PDF!)
Refining our save options:
- If you have unsaved changes and go to close a window or open a file that will now pop a confirmation.
- The default proposed file name will now include a timestamp.
- Saving now also supports .jpg and .gif file types.
- New settings page! We’re replacing the old About flyout with a full settings page where you’ll find the aforementioned option to add a border, an option for updates made to your snip to copy automatically to your clipboard, and more.
9/6/2018 - Version 10.1807.2286.0
We flighted version 10.1807.2286.0 of Snip & Sketch (née Screen Sketch), which included the highly requested delay snip feature. There was a bug in Build 18219 blocking the New button from working, so please try it out once you upgrade!
Just click the chevron next to the New button in the app and you’ll now find options to Snip now, Snip in 3 seconds, and Snip in 10 seconds. If you have the app open or pinned to your taskbar, you can also just right click the icon in the taskbar to get these options, since we’ve added them to the jump list – let us know what you’d like to see next!
Mail & Calendar
2/1/2019 - Version 16.0.11231.20082
Currently rolling out to Insiders in Fast, this app update brings:
Dark mode now extended to Mail and Calendar items: Building on our previous release of Dark mode in Mail and Calendar, we have extended our dark UI to more parts of our app. With this update, Dark mode now works when composing a new message, updating a calendar item or reading your email. This helps provide a calmer reading experience for people that work in a low light environment or just prefer screens that are less bright, and helps to reduce eye strain. To turn on Dark mode, go to settings, select “Personalization”, and choose “Dark mode”. For those who already have Dark mode enabled, you will see it expand to cover your email reading and compose experiences after receiving the update. If you prefer to view a particular email in light mode, look for the sunshine icon in the command bar to “turn on the lights” and view the email with a white background. This can help if a particular email is not formatted well for Dark mode.
Default Font: We are introducing a top customer requested feature: Default font. Now you can customize how new messages will look. If you create a new mail or reply to an existing mail, the text you type will be in the font face, size, color and emphasis you have selected. To change your default font, go into settings and select “Default font”. Default font applies per-account and does not roam to other devices. These updates are the latest in a series of updates we’ve made based on your feedback, and we’re looking forward to hearing what you’d like to see improved next!
Get more done with Cortana and Microsoft To-Do
Want just one to-do list that works twice as hard for you? Save time and stay organized – Cortana helps by adding your reminders and tasks to your lists in Microsoft To-Do with this feature preview, so you can stay on top of what matters most. Use your voice, your PC, your phone – your choice.
Streamline your tasks – your lists and reminders from across Microsoft To-Do, Cortana, and tasks in Outlook can now become one, centrally located in your Microsoft To-Do app. Use Microsoft To-Do anywhere: on your Android or iPhone, with Cortana, or on your Windows 10 PC. You can also access it from the web. It’s automatically synced so you never miss a beat. When you ask Cortana to add milk to your grocery list, it’ll show up on one of your Microsoft To-Do lists.
Or, ask Cortana to remind you to call a friend and see the reminder appear in your Microsoft To-Do planned list.
With this integration, we are furthering efforts to seamlessly sync your to-do lists across Microsoft To-Do, Cortana, and your tasks in Outlook.
To start syncing, your Windows 10 PC must be running Build 18267+ and tied to either the Australia, India, US, or UK region. Learn more about the Microsoft To-Do and Cortana integration. To share feedback, join the cohort or use the Windows Feedback Hub. use the Windows Feedback Hub.
9/6/2018 - Version 1.39.1808.31001
We added support for handwritten input to allow you to capture your tasks seamlessly in Microsoft To-Do (Version 1.39.1808.31001 and higher). Please try it out and let us know what you think by tweeting at @MicrosoftToDo on Twitter. With Ink you now can:
- Capture your tasks naturally by writing directly on the list’s surface.
- Complete your tasks by striking through them.
- Use check-marks within the circle to the left of a task to complete it.
12/10/2018 - Version 1811
This update includes:
- We’ve updated the navigation pane to now use the common control – that means when switching between sections you’ll now see that nice little transition animation!
- We’ve made some improvements to how the UI flows between different window sizes.
- Screenshots and Steps capture images can be now be easily reviewed in the app.
- When creating a new feedback item, that feedback is auto-saved as a draft. If the app closes unexpectedly in the middle of writing feedback, when you re-open the Feedback Hub you’ll now get notified of the existing draft so you can easily resume.
- You can now check for app updates from the settings page in the Feedback Hub. We’ll also automatically check for app updates on app launch, and you’ll get a notification letting you know one is available.
Check out the new Gallery experience in Game bar! Without ever leaving your game, you can now view screenshots and videos taken through Game bar and even share your favorite screenshots directly to Twitter.
10/31/2018 - Version 3.1.32
Thank you for sharing your feedback on 3.0 release with us. We think you are going to love this update!
- We tested the waters with the Charcoal Note and you all seemed keen to go even darker! Introducing full-on Dark Mode support in Sticky Notes. We support Windows Dark Mode as well as the ability to set your color mode in Sticky Notes to suit your mood independent of your system settings.
- Everyone seemed excited about Sticky Notes syncing, so we spent some time making it even faster! Check it out and let us know how it feels.
Please give it a shot and let us know on Feedback Hub your thoughts on the new update.
Want to get to your notes from anywhere? How about on the web at http://www.onenote.com/stickynotes? It will be rolling out worldwide soon – take a look and let us know what you think.
10/24/2018- Sticky Notes 3.1 (Skip Ahead only)
This version brings the following:
- We tested the waters with Charcoal Note and you all seemed keen to go even darker. Introducing full-on Dark Mode!
- Sync is even faster now, including to your phone via iOS and Android OneNote, rolling out now!
8/28/2018 - Sticky Notes 3.0 Sticky Notes 3.0 brings the following amazing new features and capabilities:
- Sync (& backup) your notes across your Windows devices.
- If you have a lot of notes, your desktop can get a bit crowded! We are introducing a new home for all your notes. You can choose which notes to stick to your desktop or tuck them away and find them again easily with search.
- We channeled our dark energy into a dark themed note: Charcoal Note.
- Crossing tasks off feel better than deleting them! Now you can style your note with the new formatting bar.
- You may notice that Sticky Notes is performing a lot faster – that is completely on purpose.
- We’ve applied so much polish that the app is starting to look like a shiny pony!
- Drastic improvements on being more inclusive:
- Using assistive technologies and Narrator.
- Keyboard navigation.
- Using mouse, touch, and pen.
- High Contrast.
Let us know what you think of Sticky Notes by sending us feedback via Feedback Hub and choosing Apps > Sticky Notes under Category.
Read all about the awesomeness in Sticky Notes 3.0 in this article on our Insider website.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.