AD Forest Recovery - Resetting the krbtgt password
Applies To: Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2, Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2
Use the following procedure to reset the krbtgt password for the domain. The following procedure applies writeable DCs, but not read-only domain controllers (RODCs).
If you plan to recover RODCs online during the forest recovery, do not delete the krbtgt accounts for the RODCs. The krbtgt account for an RODC is listed in the format krbtgt_number.
If you use a customized password filter (such as passfilt.dll) on a DC, then you might receive an error when you try to reset the krbtgt password. For more information, including a workaround, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 2549833 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549833).
To reset the krbtgt password
- Click Start, point to Control Panel, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Click View, and then click Advanced Features.
- In the console tree, double-click the domain container, and then click Users.
- In the details pane, right-click the krbtgt user account, and then click Reset Password.
- In New password, type a new password, retype the password in Confirm password, and then click OK. The password that you specify is not significant because the system will generate a strong password automatically independent of the password that you specify.
You should perform this operation twice. The password history of the krbtgt account is two, meaning it includes the two most recent passwords. By resetting the password twice you effectively clear any old passwords from the history, so there is no way another DC will replicate with this DC by using an old password.
Send feedback about: