Keep the following programming considerations in mind when working with symbolic links:
- Symbolic links can point to a non-existent target.
- When creating a symbolic link, the operating system does not check to see if the target exists.
- If an application tries to open a non-existent target, ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND is returned.
- Symbolic links are reparse points. For more information, see Determining Whether a Directory Is a Mounted Folder.
- There is a maximum of 31 reparse points (and therefore symbolic links) allowed in a particular path.