System Error Codes
The information on this page is intended to be used by programmers so that the software they write can better deal with errors. If you are an end-user that is experiencing difficulty with an application you are installing or running, contact customer support for the software that is displaying the error message. To obtain support for a Microsoft product, go to https://support.microsoft.com.
The System Error Codes are very broad. Each one can occur in one of many hundreds of locations in the system. Consequently the descriptions of these codes cannot be very specific. Use of these codes requires some amount of investigation and analysis. You need to note both the programmatic and the run-time context in which these errors occur. Because these codes are defined in WinError.h for anyone to use, sometimes the codes are returned by non-system software. Sometimes the code is returned by a function deep in the stack and far removed from your code that is handling the error.
The following topics provide lists of system error codes. These values are defined in the WinError.h header file.
- System Error Codes (0-499) (0x0-0x1f3)
- System Error Codes (500-999) (0x1f4-0x3e7)
- System Error Codes (1000-1299) (0x3e8-0x513)
- System Error Codes (1300-1699) (0x514-0x6a3)
- System Error Codes (1700-3999) (0x6a4-0xf9f)
- System Error Codes (4000-5999) (0xfa0-0x176f)
- System Error Codes (6000-8199) (0x1770-0x2007)
- System Error Codes (8200-8999) (0x2008-0x2327)
- System Error Codes (9000-11999) (0x2328-0x2edf)
- System Error Codes (12000-15999) (0x2ee0-0x3e7f)