File Explorer add-ons utility
File Explorer add-ons currently include:
- Preview Pane rendering of SVG icons (.svg)
- Preview Pane rendering of Markdown files (.md)
- Preview Pane rendering of PDF files (.pdf)
- Icon thumb preview for SVG icons
- Icon thumb preview for PDF files
Preview Pane is an existing feature in the Windows File Explorer which shows a lightweight, rich, read-only preview of the file's contents in the view's reading pane. PowerToys adds three extensions: Markdown, SVG and PDF.
Enabling Preview Pane
To enable, first ensure that in the PowerToys Settings all are set to On.
Windows Explorer has an additional setting that needs to be checked in order for preview handlers to work. Open Explorer's Folder options, go to tab "View", under "Advanced settings" check Show preview handlers in preview pane.
Next, open Windows File Explorer, select the View tab in the File Explorer ribbon, then select Preview Pane.