Associate Azure Active Directory with your Partner Center account
In order to add and manage account users, you must first associate your Partner Center account with your organization's Azure Active Directory.
Partner Center leverages Azure AD for multi-user account access and management. If your organization already uses Office 365 or other business services from Microsoft, you already have Azure AD. Otherwise, you can create a new Azure AD tenant from within Partner Center at no additional charge.
This topic is specific to the Windows apps developer program in Partner Center, but associating a tenant and managing users works similarly for accounts in the Windows Desktop Application Program (see Windows Desktop Application Program for more info) and in the Windows Hardware Developer Program (where references to the Manager role would also apply to Hardware accounts with the Administrator role; see Dashboard Administration for more info).
A single Azure AD tenant can be associated with multiple Partner Center accounts. You only need to have one Azure AD tenant associated with your Partner Center account in order to add multiple account users, but you also have the option to add multiple Azure AD tenants to a single Partner Center account. Any user with the Manager role in the Partner Center account will have the option to add and remove Azure AD tenants from the account.
After you associate your Partner Center account with your Azure AD tenant, in order to add and manage account users in that tenant, you’ll need to sign in to Partner Center as a user in the same tenant who has the Manager role.
Associate your Partner Center account with your organization’s existing Azure AD tenant
If your organization already uses Azure AD, follow these steps to link your Partner Center account.
- From Partner Center , select the gear icon (near the upper right corner of the dashboard) and then select Developer settings. In the Settings menu, select Tenants.
- Select Associate Azure AD with your Partner Center account.
- Enter your Azure AD credentials for the tenant that you want to associate.
- Review the organization and domain name for your Azure AD tenant. To complete the association, select Confirm.
- If the association is successful, you will then be ready to add and manage account users in the Users section in Partner Center.
In order to create new users, or make other changes to your Azure AD, you’ll need to sign in to that Azure AD tenant using an account which has global administrator permission for that tenant. However, you don’t need global administrator permission in order to associate the tenant, or to add users who already exist in that tenant to your Partner Center account.
Create a brand new Azure AD to associate with your Partner Center account
If you need to set up a new Azure AD to link with your Partner Center account, follow these steps.
- From the Partner Center, select the gear icon (near the upper right corner of the dashboard) and then select Developer settings. In the Settings menu, select Tenants.
- Select Create new Azure AD.
- Enter the directory information for your new Azure AD:
- Domain name: The unique name that we’ll use for your Azure AD domain, along with “.onmicrosoft.com”. For example, if you entered “example”, your Azure AD domain would be “example.onmicrosoft.com”.
- Contact email: An email address where we can contact you about your account if necessary.
- Global administrator user account info: The first name, last name, username, and password that you want to use for the new global administrator account.
- Click Create to confirm the new domain and account info.
- Sign in with your new Azure AD global administrator username and password to begin adding and managing additional account users.
Manage Azure AD tenant associations
After you have associated an Azure AD tenant with your Partner Center account, you can add new tenants or remove existing tenants from the Tenants page.
Add multiple Azure AD tenants to your Partner Center account
Any user who has the Manager role for a Partner Center account can associate Azure AD tenants with the account.
To associate a new tenant, select Associate another Azure AD tenant, then follow the steps indicated above. Note that you will be prompted for your credentials in the Azure AD tenant that you want to associate.
Remove an Azure AD tenant from your Partner Center account
Any user who has the Manager role for a Partner Center account can remove Azure AD tenants from the account.
When you remove a tenant, all users that were added to the Partner Center account from that tenant will no longer be able to sign in to the account.
To remove a tenant, find its name on the Tenants page (in Account settings), then select Remove. You’ll be prompted to confirm that you want to remove the tenant. Once you do so, no users in that tenant will be able to sign into the Partner Center account, and any permissions you have configured for those users will be removed.
You can’t remove a tenant if you are currently signed into Partner Center using an account in the same tenant. To remove a tenant, you must sign in to Partner Center as an Manager for another tenant that is associated with the account. If there is only one tenant associated with the account, that tenant can only be removed after signing in with the Microsoft account that opened the account.