ICertProperties::InitializeFromCertificate method (certenroll.h)
The InitializeFromCertificate method initializes the collection from the properties contained in a certificate.
HRESULT InitializeFromCertificate( [in] VARIANT_BOOL MachineContext, [in] EncodingType Encoding, [in] BSTR strCertificate );
A VARIANT_BOOL variable that identifies the certificate store context. Specify VARIANT_TRUE for the computer and VARIANT_FALSE for the user.
An EncodingType enumeration value that specifies the type of Unicode encoding applied to the certificate contained in the strCertificate parameter.
A BSTR variable that contains the DER-encoded certificate.
Beginning with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, you can specify a certificate thumb print or serial number rather than an encoded certificate. Doing so causes the function to search the appropriate local stores for the matching certificate. Keep in mind the following points:
- The BSTR must be an even number of hexadecimal digits.
- Whitespace between hexadecimal pairs is ignored.
- The Encoding parameter must be set to XCN_CRYPT_STRING_HEXRAW.
- The MachineContext parameter determines whether the user or computer stores or both are searched.
- If a private key is needed, only the personal and request stores are searched.
- If a private key is not needed, the root and intermediate CA stores are also searched.
If the function succeeds, the function returns S_OK.
If the function fails, it returns an HRESULT value that indicates the error. Possible values include, but are not limited to, those in the following table. For a list of common error codes, see Common HRESULT Values.
||The certificate could not be found.|
||The certificate was found but the private key could not be loaded.|
|Minimum supported client||Windows Vista [desktop apps only]|
|Minimum supported server||Windows Server 2008 [desktop apps only]|