IEditionUpgradeHelper::UpdateOperatingSystem method (editionupgradehelper.h)
Upgrades the installed edition of the operating system to the edition that the user purchased in the Windows Store, or gets a genuine copy of the operating system.
HRESULT UpdateOperatingSystem( LPCWSTR contentId );
The content identifier of the edition of the operating system that the user purchased and which the method should install.
If this edition is a higher edition that the currently installed edition of Windows, this method performs an upgrade to that edition, If this edition is the same edition as the currently installed edition, this method installs a genuine copy of that edition.
If this method succeeds, it returns S_OK. Otherwise, it returns an HRESULT error code.
When this method performs an upgrade from the currently installed edition, the method takes the following steps:
- Upgrades the edition of the operating system to the product that the user purchased from the Windows Store.
- Displays a user interface that informs the user of the progress of the upgrade.
- Restarts the computer when the upgrade is complete.
- Relies on other system components to check the license to when the computer restarts.
- Checks the license that was download from the store before UpdateOperatingSystem was called.
- Turns off any user experience that is not genuine for the current edition of Windows.
|Minimum supported client||Windows 10 [desktop apps only]|
|Minimum supported server||Windows Server 2016 [desktop apps only]|