System Error Codes
This information is intended for developers so that the software they write can better deal with errors. If you're experiencing difficulty with an application that you're installing or running, contact customer support for the software that is displaying the error message. To obtain support for a Microsoft product, visit Microsoft Support.
System Error Codes are very broad: each one can occur in one of many hundreds of locations in the system. Consequently, the descriptions of these codes cannot be very specific. Use of these codes requires some amount of investigation and analysis. You need to note both the programmatic and the runtime context in which these errors occur. Because these codes are defined in WinError.h for anyone to use, sometimes the codes are returned by non-system software. And sometimes the code is returned by a function deep in the stack and far removed from your code that is handling the error.
The following topics provide lists of system error codes. These values are defined in the WinError.h header file.
- System Error Codes (0-499) (0x0-0x1f3)
- System Error Codes (500-999) (0x1f4-0x3e7)
- System Error Codes (1000-1299) (0x3e8-0x513)
- System Error Codes (1300-1699) (0x514-0x6a3)
- System Error Codes (1700-3999) (0x6a4-0xf9f)
- System Error Codes (4000-5999) (0xfa0-0x176f)
- System Error Codes (6000-8199) (0x1770-0x2007)
- System Error Codes (8200-8999) (0x2008-0x2327)
- System Error Codes (9000-11999) (0x2328-0x2edf)
- System Error Codes (12000-15999) (0x2ee0-0x3e7f)