iOS Backgrounding Techniques
In the following sections, we will explore the following iOS features alongside the existing backgrounding options:
- Opportunistic Background Tasks - Preserve battery life by running background tasks in opportunistic chunks when the device is awake for other processing.
- Background Transfer Service - Reliably upload and download files regardless of network status or file size.
- Background Fetch - Refresh an application from the background at system-determined intervals.
- Remote Notifications - Use push notifications to trigger content updates in the background before the user opens the application, with an option to notify the user or update silently.
- Background UI Updates - Prepare the application UI for the user, and update the application's snapshot, all from the background.