Xamarin.iOS 12.2 Release Notes
- The latest features and APIs requires Xcode 10.1 and the bundled iOS, tvOS and watchOS SDKs
- Apple Xcode 10.1 requires a Mac running OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra) or newer
What's New in this Release
This version of Xamarin.iOS corresponds to our 15.9 (
- March 20, 2019 - Xamarin.iOS 184.108.40.206
- February 15, 2019 - Xamarin.iOS 220.127.116.11
- December 11, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 18.104.22.168
- November 28, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 22.214.171.124
- November 7, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 126.96.36.199
- October 24, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 188.8.131.52
- October 2, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 184.108.40.206
- September 11, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 220.127.116.11
- August 21, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 18.104.22.168
You can learn more about how we ship our releases in the Visual Studio 2017 Release Rhythm document.
March 20, 2019 - Xamarin.iOS 22.214.171.124
This version is included in Visual Studio for Mac 8.0 Preview 4.
- 5510 - [mlaunch] Fixed device deployment with Xcode 10.2+ on macOS 10.14.4+
February 15, 2019 - Xamarin.iOS 126.96.36.199
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 SR7 release.
- 10488 - [bcl]
HttpWebRequestthrows an uncatchable task exception
December 11, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 188.8.131.52
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 SR4 release.
An information disclosure vulnerability exists in Xamarin.iOS when authentication information is inadvertently exposed in a redirect when the CFNetworkHandler for HttpClient are used. The NSUrlSessionHandler and the managed HttpMessageHandler are not affected.
An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could use the information to further compromise the web application.
The security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how Xamarin.iOS handles redirects.
November 28, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 184.108.40.206
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 SR3 release.
- 5158 - [bcl] Incomplete
November 7, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 220.127.116.11
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 Preview 5 release.
This version includes support for Xcode 10.1.
October 24, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 18.104.22.168
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 Preview 4 release.
- 3766 - [tvOS] Fix SceneKit asset compilation
- 4810 - [watchOS] AppStore upload fails with an error "Binary uploaded is invalid"
- 4895 - [mtouch] Fix [InternalsVisibleTo] attribute parsing.
October 2, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 22.214.171.124
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 Preview 3 release.
- 684099 - Include Xcode 10 support (SDK, API and tools) from Xamarin.iOS 12.0
- 4735 - [mtouch] Avoid warnings such as
ld: Warning: -read_only_relocs cannot be used with arm64
September 11, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 126.96.36.199
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 Preview 2 release.
- 4133 - [foundation] Add more useful information inside
- 4308 - [open source] Fix resetting a README dependency when the hash exists, but the branch does not
- 4442 - [open source] Update
runtime.hto fix build errors with Embeddinator 4000
- 3724 - [debugger] Cannot step into the
- 4130 - [runtime] Always release blocks on the main thread (crash in
- 4235 - [msbuild] Fix
error MT0099 : Internal error : Not all assemblies for Xamarin.Sdk have link tasks
- 4237 - [msbuild] Fix
MT2002: Failed to resolve assembly: ...
- 4254 - [objcruntime]
Class.GetHandlenot handle byref types (crash linked to becomeFirstResponder)
- 4384 - [mtouch] Fix
MissingMethodExceptionwhen mono 5.12 is used
- 4422 - [moutch] Fix
no type or protocol named 'MTKViewDelegate'after adding
- 4467 - [msbuild] Fix build failures when a project contains '.ktx' file(s)
- 4594 - [mtouch] Ensure additional arguments are last (and can override msbuild arguments from response file)
Integrated Mono Features/Fixes
Xamarin.iOS uses a customized runtime and base class libraries (BCL) from Mono 2018-04.
August 21, 2018 - Xamarin.iOS 188.8.131.52
This version is included in the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9 Preview 1 release.
Integrated Mono Features/Fixes
Xamarin.iOS uses a customized runtime and base class libraries (BCL) from Mono 2018-02.
Additional information can be found in Mono release notes.
5129 - Build error for library project with SceneKit asset.
Library projects with SceneKit assets may fail to compile due to an MSBuild variable not being set:
error MSB4044: The "CompileSceneKitAssets" task was not given a value for the required parameter "AppBundleDir".
The workaround is to manually set the variable by adding the following line to the library project's .csproj file:
64 bits watchOS support
Xcode 10 GM added support for 64 bits watch application, aka
arm64_32. The current app store submission process requires this architecture to be included in your application when including watch support. You can workaround this with [https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/issues/4810#issuecomment-421338365](these instructions).
Trying to run a watch app on the new Series 4 Apple Watch will fail with this error:
IncorrectArchitecture: Failed to find matching arch for 32-bit Mach-O input file ... error MT1006: Could not install the application 'MyTestApp.app' on the device 'MyDevice': AMDeviceSecureInstallApplicationBundle returned: 0xe8000087 (kAMDIncorrectArchitectureError).
This is because the S4 device can only execute native
armv7klike previous watches.
Please read https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/issues/4864 for more information and a workaround.
Apple Breaking Changes
- rdar://41123682 Apple changed
TVElementUpdateType*enum values. Please test your application if you're usinf this type.
- rdar://43425168 Apple changed
IN*WorkoutIntentResponseCodeenum values. Please test your application if you're usinf this type.
Apple Non-Breaking Issues
RPBroadcastPickerViewsymbol is not present in simulator. If needed you'll need to test this on devices.
Using an older Xcode version
Using an older Xcode version (than the one mentioned in the above requirements) is often possible, but some features may not be available. Also some limitations might require workarounds, e.g.:
- The static registrar requires Xcode headers files to build applications, leading to
MT4109errors if APIs are missing. In most cases enabling the managed linker will help (by removing the API).
- Bitcode builds (for tvOS and watchOS) can fail submission to the App Store unless an Xcode 9.0+ toolchain is used.
The following documents contains a complete list of the API changes since the Xamarin.iOS 12.1 stable release:
Your feedback is important to us. If there are any problems with this release, check the Xamarin.iOS Forums and Xamarin Mac/iOS Github Repository for existing issues. If you do not find any matching issue, please feel free to start a new discussion and report an issue.
Xamarin.iOS is based on the following open-source repositories: