Xamarin Live Player Setup
Xamarin Live Player lets you make live edits to your app and have those changes reflected live on the device. Your code runs inside the Xamarin Live Player app – no need to set up emulators or to use cables to deploy! This article describes how to set up Xamarin Live Player.
1. Get the Android App
Xamarin Live Player is available for Android from Google Play:
For Android devices without Google Play the Xamarin Live Player is available through HockeyApp distribution. Additionally, early preview builds for Android can be installed directly from Google Play by opting in to the open beta program
2. Get Visual Studio 2017
Xamarin Live Player requires:
- Visual Studio 2017 15.4 or newer.
- A Visual Studio computer and a device on the same WiFi network.
3. Using Xamarin Live Player for the first time
Open Visual Studio 2017.
Go to Tools > Options... and select the Xamarin > Other tab.
Tick Enable Xamarin Live Player:
Create or open a Xamarin project (or a sample).
Choose Live Player in the device list:
- If you have already paired a device, it will be available as an option.
- Otherwise you'll be prompted to pair a device when required.
Press the Run button, or select one of the following options from the Run or right-click menu:
- Start Without Debugging – you can edit the app and see the changes occur on the device (app is restarted as changes are made and the file saved).
- Start Debugging – you can set breakpoints and inspect variables, but code cannot be edited.
Alternatively, select Tools > Xamarin Live Player > Live Run Current View, which lets you edit the app and see the changes occur on the device. The current view is shown (instead of the application's main screen).
If a device is already paired and the Xamarin Live Player app is running on the device, the code will execute straight away!
If no device is is paired, a QR code will appear with instructions on how to pair a device:
If the device cannot be contacted for pairing, an error may appear.
If you experience any issues or can not connect, see limitations and troubleshooting.