HTTP error 403 when you start Exchange Management Shell on an Exchange Server 2010 Client Access server
Original KB number: 2276957
When you try to open EMS on an Exchange Server 2010 Client Access server, you receive the following error message in EMS:
VERBOSE: Connecting to <server name>
[<server name>] Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message: The WinRM client received an HTTP status code of 403 from the remote WS-Management service. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) , PSRemotingTransportException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PSSessionOpenFailed
Failed to connect to any Exchange Server in the current site.
Please enter the Server FQDN where you want to connect:
This problem occurs because the Require SSL option on the PowerShell virtual directory in Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager is enabled. However, this option setting is not needed because Exchange Server 2010 uses Kerberos authentication.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- On the Exchange Server 2010 Client Access server, open IIS Manager.
- Locate the PowerShell virtual directory under Default Web Site, and then click SSL Settings in the details pane.
- Double-click SSL Settings and then clear the Require SSL option.
- In the details pane, click Apply to save the settings in IIS Manager.
- Restart IIS.
- Close EMS, and then reopen it.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem.