Error when you try to integrate a project in Microsoft Dynamics SL that already has resource assignments
This article provides a solution to an error that occurs when you try to integrate a project in Microsoft Dynamics SL that already has resource assignments.
Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics SL
Original KB number: 2025572
When trying to integrate a project in Microsoft Dynamics SL that already has resource assignments, an error message is received:
PC Message Number 1685
Warning, this project has existing resource assignments. Those without actual activity will be removed by this action. Continue Yes/No?
The following message is taken from a page of the Project Connector 2007 Implementation and User Guide:
"Note: Integrating an existing task deleted task assignments that do not have actuals. When you schedule tasks and assign resources to them in Office Project Professional 2007, you will create new resource assignments in Microsoft Dynamics."
This error appears when the user tries to integrate a project in SL that already has Resource Assignments.
If the user selects Yes, then any assignments without actuals will be removed. Any assignments with actuals will flow over to project, but the actual work won't flow and the budget amount is zeroed out.
It's also seen on the page the Project Connector 2007 Implementation and User Guide:
Integrating pre-existing Microsoft Dynamics project with actuals is not recommended.
To create resource assignments in Microsoft Project Professional:
- Open an Integrated project in Microsoft Project Professional.
- Build a Team (if it hasn't been done previously).
- Select Tools > Build Team from Enterprise.
- Select one or more resources from the left and select Add to add them to the project.
- Select the task you want to assign resources to.
- Assign the resource by selecting Tools > Assign Resources
- Select the resource(s) you want to assign and select the Assign button.
- Save and Publish the project.
- Open the Resource Assignment screen in SL
- Select the Project and Task you used in step 3.
- Your resources should appear in the detail grid.
- The estimated hours should be based on the duration of the task in Project Server.
- The estimated cost should be based on the estimated hours * the employment rate in Employee Position or Rate Maintenance.