What is Bing Custom Search?
This documentation is for Bing Search Services. If you're looking for the Cognitive Services version of the documentation, see Cognitive Services Bing Custom Search.
Bing Custom Search lets you create a tailored, ad-free search experiences for topics that your users care about. You specify the domains and webpages that Bing searches. You can also pin, boost, and demote specific content to create a custom view of the web that helps your users quickly find relevant content. To create your custom view, use the Bing Custom Search portal.
After defining your view, integrate it into your website or application by calling Bing Custom Search API. As an option, you can configure a searchable user interface that you render within your website or application.
To comply with the new EU Copyright Directive in France, the Bing Web, News, Video, Image and all Custom Search APIs must omit some content from certain EU News sources for French users. The removed content may include thumbnail images and videos, video previews, and snippets which accompany search results from these sources. As a consequence, the Bing APIs may serve fewer results with thumbnail images and videos, video previews, and snippets to French users.
To get started using the API, pick the subscription you want from Bing API Pricing. After getting your subscription key, you're all set to make your first call.
You can easily call the API by sending a native HTTP GET request or by using the Custom Search SDK. For examples to help you get up and running quickly for either option, see Quickstarts.
Custom Search provides the following features:
|Define your view of the web||Identify the content that your users care about.|
|Share your custom search instance||Collaboratively edit and test your search instance with teammates.|
After defining your custom view of the web, use the following APIs to query its content.
- Custom Search API — Lets your users to search for webpages and more from the domains and sites specified in your custom search instance.
- Custom Image API — Lets your users to search for images from the domains and sites specified in your custom search instance.
- Custom Video API — Lets your users to search for videos from the domains and sites specified in your custom search instance.
- Custom Autosuggest API — Lets you provide suggested search strings to your users as they type in your search box.
Search or search-like experience
Bing Custom Search API may only be used as a result of a direct user query or search, or as a result of an action within an app or experience that logically can be interpreted as a user’s search request. For illustration purposes, the following are some examples of acceptable search or search-like experiences.
- User enters a query directly into a search box in an app
- User selects specific text or image and requests “more information” or “additional information”
- User asks a search bot about a particular topic
- User dwells on a particular object or entity in a visual search type scenario
If you are not sure if your experience can be considered a search-like experience, check with Microsoft.