Move users to different subscriptions
Watch: Move users to a different subscription
As your users change roles, they may need features that aren't available in their current Microsoft 365 Business Premium subscription. When this happens, you can add a new subscription that includes those features, and assign licenses to the people who need them.
For some subscriptions, you can only cancel during a limited window of time after you buy or renew your subscription. If the cancellation window has passed, turn off recurring billing to cancel the subscription at the end of its term.
Add a new subscription
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, in the left navigation pane, select Billing > Purchase services.
- Choose the subscription you would like to add, and then select Buy.
- Choose how you want to pay and the number of licenses you need, and then select Check out now.
- Review your order, and then choose Next.
- Confirm your total, and select Place order.
Change the license assigned to a user
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, in the left navigation pane, select Users > Active users.
- Select the name of the user, and then select Licenses and apps.
- Under Licenses, you'll see your new subscription. Select the check box next to the new subscription, and clear the check box next to the old subscription.
- Select Save changes. The license for the new subscription is now assigned to this user.
Remove an unused license
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, select Billing > Your products.
- Select the subscription you want to change, and then select Add/remove licenses.
- Use the down arrow to reduce the number of licenses for this subscription, and then select Submit change. You now have the right number of licenses for your users.