Dynamics 365 education accelerator – higher education
With the higher education component in the Dynamics 365 education accelerator, you can develop solutions that are based on entities and attributes that higher-education institutions use. The component includes entities around student engagement and additional entities around internships, scholarships, grants, and accomplishments. The component also provides entities, fields, forms, views, and dashboards specific to higher education.
The higher education scenario is released to compliment an existing Dynamics 365 instance and assist with day-to-day operations or as a stand-alone data model for developers. The accelerator contains installable scenarios that include standard entity attribute extensions, new higher education entities, pre-built dashboards, sample data, and other tools to help customers and partners build and deploy new solutions.
As colleges continue to navigate online and hybrid modes of learning for students, we’ve released an update for student success and tele-advising to the higher education component of the education accelerator.
Common Data Model extensions
This accelerator contains extensions to Common Data Model to include concepts for higher education, including entity definitions and relationships:
- A student portal where students can view completion towards program requirements, connect with an advisor, view courses and events, and see the history of courses and applications.
- Advisor dashboard which provides top and bottom performing students as an example, and at-a-glance view of students in need of support.
- A business partner dashboard provides information to partner organizations to help them engage with the university for events, hackathons, internships, scholarships, and grants.
- The Accomplishment extension captures any work completed by students outside of a course, such as hackathons or awards.
- The Grants phone app allows research faculty to keep track of applications and approval of grants to which they've applied.
- All personas, including students, business partners, and faculty members, have access to rich reporting on the students applying for internships, grants, and scholarships.
- System views that provide easy access to relevant areas. This includes the following entities: students, faculty, extracurricular activities, previous education, test scores, courses, academic periods, programs, test types, registration status, and areas of interest.
- Sample apps to show some of the possibilities of Unified Interface.
- Example Dynamics 365 dashboards and Power BI dashboards that provide analytics for completed courses and allow drilling into details about student performance, instructor effectiveness, and course feedback.
- Support for building additional canvases and model-driven apps in Power Apps.
- A solution that you can deploy and install from AppSource or GitHub.
Site map extensions
With the higher education component of the Dynamics 365 education accelerator, institutions can optimize student and faculty engagement, improve institutional effectiveness, predict outcomes, and gain insights from analytics. When the accelerator is installed, the experience is transformed into one specifically built for higher education and one that allows institutions to quickly build Power Apps and Power BI visualizations.
Higher education institutions can build their business processes on top of the entities in the accelerator. The ribbon customizations contain entities to record student, faculty, and alumni interactions, business partner interactions, appointments, events, and outreach.
Entities and workflows
This accelerator provides these entities to support the needs of higher education institutions.
|Account||Test Type||Test Score|
|Course History||Registration Status||Course|
|Contact||Course Section||Extracurricular Activity|
|Extracurricular Activity Participants||Address / Customer Address||Academic Period|
|Program||Program Level||Academic Period Details|
|Student Status||Internship||Internship Applicants|
|Accomplishments||Area of Interest||Area of Study|
|Student Program Type||Previous Education||Education Level|
|Grant||Grant Applicant||Program Version||Program Version Detail|
|Student Resource||Recommended Resource||Program Requirement|
Forms, dashboards, and apps
The higher education component combines standard Dynamics 365 entities with customized entities to make it easier to build solutions. This section describes some of the forms, dashboards, and apps that demonstrate the new entities and the data model.
Updated student portal
In this release, the design of the sample student portal is updated, ensuring improved user experience and accessibility.
Tele-advising option for students
Students are able to schedule in-person or virtual meetings with their advisor to ensure continuity of progress towards their academic and personal goals.
View personalized progress
Success path shows progress towards graduation or degree completion program requirements by the institution.
In this sample dashboard, university advisors can view top and bottom performing students, as well as upcoming appointments with students.
Business partner dashboard
A business partner is any organization that's willing to engage with the university for events, hackathons, internships, scholarships, or grants. With the native dashboard and PowerBI dashboards, business partners gain insights into student interest in opportunities and applications for grants and scholarships.
Student internship application status form
This form tracks the status of students' internship applications.
Grants phone app
Research faculty can keep track of grant applications submitted by their students.
This Dynamics 365 form shows student information, such as contact information, course load, areas of study, degree, course history, and test scores, in the context of the app and the interface. The student record becomes the source of truth to deliver the right ongoing engagements for providing the best support throughout the student lifecycle.
This accelerator includes a student dashboard in Dynamics 365 and an institutional dashboard in Power BI. With the institutional dashboard, you can gain analytics and insights into students, classes, and key metrics, such as students by program and demographics.
Download the Dynamics 365 education accelerator from AppSource.
The higher-education data model, solutions, data samples, Power BI examples, SDK extensions, and more are provided as part of the open-source creative license, available on GitHub.
Additional accelerator topics.
This blog post shares additional enhancements made to the higher education model.
Continue your accelerator experience and engage with experts and peers, read blog articles, and find local events within the industry accelerator community. Join us