Windows Autopilot licensing requirements
- Windows 10
- Windows Holographic, version 2004 or later
Windows Autopilot depends on specific capabilities available in Windows 10 and Azure Active Directory. It also requires an MDM service such as Microsoft Intune. These capabilities can be obtained through various editions and subscription programs:
To provide needed Azure Active Directory (automatic MDM enrollment and company branding features) and MDM functionality, one of the following subscriptions is required:
- Microsoft 365 Business Premium subscription
- Microsoft 365 F1 or F3 subscription
- Microsoft 365 Academic A1, A3, or A5 subscription
- Microsoft 365 Enterprise E3 or E5 subscription, which include all Windows 10, Microsoft 365, and EM+S features (Azure AD and Intune).
- Enterprise Mobility + Security E3 or E5 subscription, which include all needed Azure AD and Intune features.
- Intune for Education subscription, which include all needed Azure AD and Intune features.
- Azure Active Directory Premium P1 or P2 and Microsoft Intune subscription (or an alternative MDM service).
Even when using Microsoft 365 subscriptions, you still need to assign Intune licenses to the users.
Additionally, the following are also recommended (but not required):
- Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, which can be deployed easily via Intune (or other MDM services).
- Windows Subscription Activation, to automatically step up devices from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise.