Sample: Retrieve currency exchange rate
Effective November 2020:
- Common Data Service has been renamed to Microsoft Dataverse. Learn more
- Some terminology in Microsoft Dataverse has been updated. For example, entity is now table and field is now column. Learn more
This article will be updated soon to reflect the latest terminology.
This sample shows how to create a new currency, and how to retrieve and display the currency exchange rate relative to the organization’s base currency. You can download the sample from here.
How to run this sample
- Download or clone the Samples repo so that you have a local copy.
- (Optional) Edit the cds/App.config file to define a connection string specifying the Microsoft Dataverse instance you want to connect to.
- Open the sample solution in Visual Studio and press F5 to run the sample. After you specify a connection string in cds/App.config, any sample you run will use that connection information.
If you do not specify a connection string in cds/App.config file, a dialog will open each time you run the sample and you will need to enter information about which Dataverse instance you want to connect to and which credentials you want to use. This dialog will cache previous connections so that you can choose a previously used connection.
Those samples in this repo that require a connection to a Dataverse instance to run will include a linked reference to the cds/App.config file.
What this sample does
RetrieveExchangeRateRequest message is intended to be used in a scenario where it contains data that is needed to retrieve the exchange rate.
How this sample works
In order to simulate the scenario described in What this sample does, the sample will do the following:
- Checks for the current version of the org.
TransactionCurrencymethod creates a new currency for the sample.
RetrieveExchangeRateRequest message retrieves the exchange rate against the base currency of the org.
Display an option to delete the sample data created in Setup. The deletion is optional in case you want to examine the entities and data created by the sample. You can manually delete the records to achieve the same result.