Next-generation protection overview
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint includes next-generation protection to reinforce the security perimeter of your network. Next-generation protection was designed to catch all types of emerging threats. In addition to Microsoft Defender Antivirus, your next-generation protection services include the following capabilities:
- Behavior-based, heuristic, and real-time antivirus protection, which includes always-on scanning using file and process behavior monitoring and other heuristics (also known as real-time protection). It also includes detecting and blocking apps that are deemed unsafe, but might not be detected as malware.
- Cloud-delivered protection, which includes near-instant detection and blocking of new and emerging threats.
- Dedicated protection and product updates, which includes updates related to keeping Microsoft Defender Antivirus up to date.
Next-generation protection is included in both Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Plan 1 (preview) and Plan 2. Learn more about Defender for Endpoint Plan 1 (preview) and Plan 2
Try a demo!
Visit the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint demo website to confirm the following protection features are working and explore them using demo scenarios:
- Cloud-delivered protection
- Block at first sight (BAFS) protection
- Potentially unwanted applications (PUA) protection
Configure next-generation protection services
For information on how to configure next-generation protection services, see Configure Microsoft Defender Antivirus features.
Configuration and management is largely the same in Windows Server as in Windows clients. However, there are some differences.