What's new in Microsoft Graph
Features, including APIs and tools, in preview status may change without notice, and some may never be promoted to generally available (GA) status. Do not use preview features in production apps.
June 2021: New and generally available
The APIs for the education assignments service are now generally available.
June 2021: New in preview only
- Teachers can now select the default behavior for a calendar when they publish assignments. Teachers can control the assignment calendar behavior by using the addToCalendarAction property of the educationAssignment resource.
- Teachers can now also set a default behavior for a calendar when they publish assignments. Teachers can control the assignment default calendar behavior by using the addToCalendarAction property of the educationAssignmentDefaults resource.
May 2021: New and generally available
Devices and apps | Cloud printing
Find out when a printer last interacted with Universal Print, by using the lastSeenDateTime property of printer.
Identity and access | Identity and sign-in
Get or update the role of a guest user by using the guestUserRoleId property of authorizationPolicy.
- Create drafts and send Outlook messages in MIME format, attach S/MIME digital signatures, and encrypt message content in S/MIME.
- Create a mailFolder as a hidden folder by setting the isHidden property.
Microsoft Graph Toolkit
Try the following new features in the Microsoft Graph Toolkit 2.2:
Reports | Azure AD activity reports
GA of the reporting API to list actions performed by the Azure AD provisioning service and its associated properties. Aligned the prior beta version to the v1.0 version of the API.
May 2021: New in preview only
Connecting external content
- Be aware of implementation and operational limits when designing connectors.
- Try the connectors API with Postman.
Devices and apps | Cloud PC
Request the least privileged application permissions,
CloudPC.ReadWrite.All, to access methods of the following resources:
- Read and write operations, and reprovision method of cloudPC.
- Read and write operations, and getSourceImages method of cloudPcDeviceImage.
- Read and write operations, and updateAdDomainPassword method of cloudPcOnPremisesConnection.
- Read and write operations, and assign method of cloudPcProvisioningPolicy.
- Set up a SharePoint resource folder to upload and store all file-based resources in the same location for an educationAssignment.
- Set up a SharePoint resource folder to upload and store all file-based resources, such as a Word or Excel file, in the same location for an educationSubmission.
Identity and access | Governance
- Get a collection of accessPackageAssignment resources by filtering on the signed-in user.
- Get a collection of accessPackageAssignmentRequest resources by filtering on the signed-in user.
Try the preview version of Microsoft Graph .NET SDK v4, and take advantage of the following improvements:
- Use a single API to authenticate against Microsoft Graph and Azure .NET clients.
- New support for JSON serialization and deserialization.
- Easy access to response information.
- Better experience upgrading dependencies.
April 2021: New and generally available
Identity and access | Identity and sign-in
- Manage an authentication policy at a tenant level, to enable or disable self-service sign-up of external users.
- Administrators can associate user flows with apps that are shared with external users and enable self-service sign-up on those apps. They can customize a self-service sign-up user flow and create a personalized sign-up experience. Once an application is associated with the user flow, users who go to that application will be able to initiate a sign-up flow that provisions a guest account.
- Configure user flow attributes in your Azure AD tenant allows you to collect information about a user during sign-up. You can collect a built-in set of attributes, or configure custom user flow attributes to collect information from a user that is not built in to the directory.
- In an Azure Active Directory user flow, you can manage language defaults and customize the language and strings displayed to users in the user flow.
- Use an API connector in user flows for Azure AD self-service sign-up and Azure AD B2C sign-up, to call an API at a specific step to affect the execution of the user flow.
- Identify the channel by the channelIdentity property, if a chatMessage is within a channel.
- Identify the chat by the chatId property, if the chatMessage is in a chat.
- Use the messages relationship to get all the chatMessage resources in a chat.
- Use application permissions to get the properties of a specified chat.
- Use application permissions to get a specified chat member or get all the chat members included in a chat. Because data for users as chat members is sensitive, other than obtaining application permissions, please request additional access to these operations.
Use the Toolkit
New to the Microsoft Graph Toolkit? Try the new Toolkit learning path, use the Toolkit set of web components and authentication providers to connect a web app to Microsoft Graph, and load data from Microsoft 365.
April 2021: New in preview only
Cloud communications | Online meetings
- Get a report of each attendee's attendance in a scheduled online meeting, through the meetingAttendanceReport property of the onlineMeeting.
- Enable, disable, or limit duration of chat for an online meeting by using the allowMeetingChat property.
- Enable or disable reactions for an online meeting, by using the allowTeamworkReactions property.
- Detection of duplicates, near-duplicate, and email threading, through the redundancyDetection property.
- Identifying themes which are prevalent ideas in documents of a review set, through the topicModeling property.
- Extracting text from image files by optical character recognition (OCR), through the ocr property.
Devices and apps | Device updates
Debut of APIs for the Windows Update for Business deployment service. The service supports deploying Windows 10 feature updates and expediting Windows 10 security updates on devices. To learn more, start with the Windows updates API overview.
- Associate a folder with an educationAssignment to store all the related file resources, through the resourcesFolderUrl property.
- Deep link into an educationAssignment through the webUrl property.
Identity and access | Governance
Administrators can get or update policies at the directory-level to review access, by using the accessReviewPolicy resource. For example, administrators can use an access review policy to enable or disable group owners reviewing access on groups that they own.
Enable spelling suggestions or corrections for a user query. This is useful when a user query contains typing errors, or when the errors render no search results.
- Use resource-specific permission grant to list the apps with access to a specified group or chat.
- Get the properties of an icon associated with a Teams app. To get the actual image of the icon, use get hosted content.
Want to stay in the loop?
Here are some ways we can engage:
Are there scenarios you'd like Microsoft Graph to support? Suggest and vote for new features at Microsoft Tech Community. Some new features originate as popular requests from the developer community. The Microsoft Graph team regularly evaluates customer needs and releases new features in the following order:
Debut in preview status. Any related REST API updates are in the beta endpoint (
Promoted to general availability (GA) status, if sufficient feedback indicates viability. Any related REST API updates are added to the v1.0 endpoint (
Be an active member in the Microsoft Graph community! Join the monthly Microsoft Graph community call.
Sign up for the Microsoft 365 developer program, get a free Microsoft 365 subscription, and start developing!
- Check out the Microsoft Graph developer blog periodically for release announcements and helpful resources.
- Browse details of Microsoft Graph API additions, and API behavior updates in the changelog.
- Find highlights of earlier releases.
- Learn more about versioning, support, and breaking change policies for Microsoft Graph.