Next-generation protection overview
Microsoft Defender for Endpoint includes next-generation protection to reinforce the security perimeter of your network. Next-generation protection was designed to catch all types of emerging threats. In addition to Microsoft Defender Antivirus, your next-generation protection services include the following capabilities:
- Behavior-based, heuristic, and real-time antivirus protection, which includes always-on scanning using file and process behavior monitoring and other heuristics (also known as real-time protection). It also includes detecting and blocking apps that are deemed unsafe, but might not be detected as malware.
- Cloud-delivered protection, which includes near-instant detection and blocking of new and emerging threats.
- Dedicated protection and product updates, which includes updates related to keeping Microsoft Defender Antivirus up to date.
Next-generation protection is included in both Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Plan 1 (preview) and Plan 2. Learn more about Defender for Endpoint Plan 1 (preview) and Plan 2
Try a demo!
Visit the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint demo website to confirm the following protection features are working and explore them using demo scenarios:
- Cloud-delivered protection
- Block at first sight (BAFS) protection
- Potentially unwanted applications (PUA) protection
Configure next-generation protection services
For information on how to configure next-generation protection services, see Configure Microsoft Defender Antivirus features.
Configuration and management is largely the same in Windows Server as in Windows clients. However, there are some differences. To learn more, see Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows Server.