Build Windows client applications using the XRM tools
XRM tooling is a set of APIs built on top of the Common Data Service assembly APIs (Organization service and Discovery service) that provide support for building Windows client applications for Common Data Service. It provides the following capabilities:
- Supports all the authentication modes to sign in to Common Data Service instance.
- Provides PowerShell support for authentication and connection to Common Data Service instance.
- Provides thread safety for actions performed in Common Data Service in a multithreaded environment. More information Multithreading in Components, Thread-Safe Components
- Provides a common Windows Presentation Foundation login control for Common Data Service for consistent sign-in experience to Common Data Service from your Windows client applications.
- Supports secure storage of the sign-in credentials and reuse of the stored credentials to automatically sign in to Common Data Service after initial sign in.
- Provides built-in diagnostic tracing and performance reporting of the actions performed in Common Data Service, which you can configure based on your organization’s requirements.
Components of XRM tooling
XRM tooling has the following three components:
Interface for developers: This provides the low-level interaction and wrapper methods for the Common Data Service SDK assembly APIs. It is an instrumented API that provides a thread safe environment for making calls to Common Data Service with built-in diagnostic capabilities to help you determine the performance of individual calls. It also provides a standard set of trace listeners for debugging support. The namespace for this component is Microsoft.Xrm.Tooling.Connector.
Common login control: This is a WPF user control that provides a common user interface for the sign in experience to Common Data Service. The login control provides support for all the authentication modes that are supported by Common Data Service. The common login control has built-in encryption for securely storing your credentials/profile, and then reusing it at runtime to automatically sign in to Common Data Service. The namespace for this component is Microsoft.Xrm.Tooling.CrmConnectControl.
Web resource utility: This provides support for accessing information from the following two types of web resources in Common Data Service: Image and XML. You can access an image from a Common Data Service web resource and return it as WPF BitmapImage objects. Similarly, you can return an XML web resource as a string. The namespace for this component is Microsoft.Xrm.Tooling.WebResourceUtility.
Client applications that use XRM tooling
The following applications in the current version of Common Data Service use the common WPF login control for authenticating users while signing in to Common Data Service from the client application:
- Unified Service Desk. More information: Extend Unified Service Desk