Tutorial: Azure Active Directory single sign-on (SSO) integration with Velpic SAML
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Velpic SAML with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Velpic SAML with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Velpic SAML.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Velpic SAML with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Velpic SAML single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD SSO in a test environment.
- Velpic SAML supports SP initiated SSO.
- Velpic SAML supports Automated user provisioning.
Adding Velpic SAML from the gallery
To configure the integration of Velpic SAML into Azure AD, you need to add Velpic SAML from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Velpic SAML in the search box.
- Select Velpic SAML from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Velpic SAML
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Velpic SAML using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Velpic SAML.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Velpic SAML, perform the following steps:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Velpic SAML SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Velpic SAML test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Velpic SAML that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Velpic SAML application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the pencil icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, perform the following steps:
a. In the Sign on URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Identifier (Entity ID) text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
Please note that the Sign on URL will be provided by the Velpic SAML team and Identifier value will be available when you configure the SSO Plugin on Velpic SAML side. You need to copy that value from Velpic SAML application page and paste it here.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, find Federation Metadata XML and select Download to download the certificate and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Velpic SAML section, copy the appropriate URL(s) based on your requirement.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the email@example.com. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Velpic SAML.
- In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
- In the applications list, select Velpic SAML.
- In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
- Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
- In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Velpic SAML SSO
To automate the configuration within Velpic SAML, you need to install My Apps Secure Sign-in browser extension by clicking Install the extension.
After adding extension to the browser, click on Set up Velpic SAML will direct you to the Velpic SAML application. From there, provide the admin credentials to sign into Velpic SAML. The browser extension will automatically configure the application for you and automate steps 3-8.
If you want to setup Velpic SAML manually, open a new web browser window and sign into your Velpic SAML company site as an administrator and perform the following steps:
Click on Manage tab and go to Integration section where you need to click on Plugins button to create new plugin for Sign-In.
Click on the Add plugin button.
Click on the SAML tile in the Add Plugin page.
Enter the name of the new SAML plugin and click the Add button.
Enter the details as follows:
a. In the Name textbox, type the name of SAML plugin.
b. In the Issuer URL textbox, paste the Azure AD Identifier you copied from the Configure sign-on window of the Azure portal.
c. In the Provider Metadata Config upload the Metadata XML file which you downloaded from Azure portal.
d. You can also choose to enable SAML just in time provisioning by enabling the Auto create new users checkbox. If a user doesn’t exist in Velpic and this flag is not enabled, the login from Azure will fail. If the flag is enabled the user will automatically be provisioned into Velpic at the time of login.
e. Copy the Single sign on URL from the text box and paste it in the Azure portal.
f. Click Save.
Create Velpic SAML test user
This step is usually not required as the application supports just in time user provisioning. If the automatic user provisioning is not enabled then manual user creation can be done as described below.
Sign into your Velpic SAML company site as an administrator and perform following steps:
Click on Manage tab and go to Users section, then click on New button to add users.
On the “Create New User” dialog page, perform the following steps.
a. In the First Name textbox, type the first name of B.
b. In the Last Name textbox, type the last name of Simon.
c. In the User Name textbox, type the user name of B.Simon.
d. In the Email textbox, type the email address of B.Simon@contoso.com account.
e. Rest of the information is optional, you can fill it if needed.
f. Click SAVE.
Velpic SAML also supports automatic user provisioning, you can find more details here on how to configure automatic user provisioning.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration using the My Apps.
When you click the Velpic SAML tile in the My Apps, you should get login page of Velpic SAML application. You should see the Log In With Azure AD button on the sign in page.
Click on the Log In With Azure AD button to log in to Velpic using your Azure AD account.
Once you configure Velpic SAML you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.