Use Item Cross References
If you set up a cross reference between the item description that you use for an item and the description that the vendor of that item uses, then the vendor's item description is automatically inserted on purchase documents for the vendor when you fill in the Cross-Reference No. field. The same functionality applies for customer item numbers on sales documents.
The following procedures describe how to use item cross references on the purchase side. The steps are similar for the sales side.
To set up an item cross reference to a vendor's item description
- Choose the icon, enter Items, and then choose the related link.
- Open the card for an item for which you want to create a cross reference to the item description that the vendor uses for that item.
- Choose the Cross References action.
- On a new line on the Item Cross-Reference Entries page, fill in the fields as necessary. Hover over a field to read a short description..
To enter a vendor's item description on a purchase order
- Choose the icon, enter Purchase Orders, and then choose the related link.
- Create a purchase order for the vendor that you set up an item cross reference for in the previous procedure.
- Create a purchase line for the item that you set up an item cross reference for in the previous procedure.
- In the Cross-Reference No. field, select the item cross reference that you have created, and then choose the OK button.
The Description field on the line is overwritten with the vendor's item description, as set up on the item cross-reference entry.