Error when you change the identity of an application pool by using IIS Manager from a remote computer: Keyset does not exist
This article resolves the Keyset does not exist error. The error occurs when you change the identity of an application pool by using Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager from a remote computer.
Original product version: Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2
Original KB number: 977754
Consider the following scenario:
- On a server that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2, you enable remote management for IIS.
- The server has more than one application pool configured in IIS.
- One of the application pools is configured to use custom user identity.
- You use IIS Manager to connect to the server as an administrator from a remote computer.
In this scenario, when you to try to change the identity of any application pool, you receive the following error message:
There was an error while performing this operation.
Keyset does not exist (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090016)
The LOCAL SERVICE account is the service account of the IIS Web Management Service (also known as WMSvc). This problem occurs because the LOCAL SERVICE account doesn't have Read access on the
iisWasKey key that is located in the
Here's the file name of the
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Locate the
- Right-click the 76944fb33636aeddb9590521c2e8815a_GUID file, and then select Properties.
- Select the Security tab, and then select Edit. If you're asked whether you want to continue the operation, select Continue. Then, the list of group names and user names that have access to this key file appears in the Permissions dialog box.
- Select Add. Then, the Select Users, Computers, Service Accounts, or Groups dialog box appears.
- Type LOCAL SERVICE, and then select Check Names.
- Select OK.
- In the Group or user names list, select LOCAL SERVICE. Make sure that the Read check box is checked in the Permissions for LOCAL SERVICE list.
- Select OK.
This problem is fixed in Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2.