Welcome to the docs.microsoft.com (Docs) Contributor Guide!
About this guide
Here you'll find all of the information you need to contribute to Docs articles, by using the Microsoft Open Publishing Services (OPS) platform and the supporting tools and processes.
The table of contents to your left is designed to be used in stepwise order, from top to bottom. Many of the articles can also serve as reference content, which you might want to save as a favorite/bookmark in your browser. Also note that there are several links to other sites, which will take you to pages that are off the docs.microsoft.com domain and outside this guide.
Quick start to propose an article change
If you don't have time to digest the entire guide or install tools, and you just need to make a minor contribution, here are the essentials:
- If you don't already have one, create a GitHub account.
- Use the minor/infrequent contributor workflow to submit your contribution via a GitHub pull request.
- Docs articles are written in a markup language called Markdown. If you need help, see How to use Markdown.
When you have time, we recommend that you return and complete the Overview and setup and "Contribute to content" sections.
Additional ways to contribute to docs.microsoft.com content
You can also contribute to the docs.microsoft.com content and community in the following ways:
- Submit article feedback or questions directly in an article. Both ways of doing this require you to first set up a Livefyre account:
- Provide general comments by using the Comments feature at the bottom of the article page.
- Embed context-specific comments next to the related sentence, by hovering over the text and selecting the floating "sidenote" caption icon in the right margin.
- Submit or vote for site suggestions on the docs.microsoft.com User Voice site.
- Participate in community discussion, such as Stack Overflow, Microsoft TechNet or MSDN forums, or a Yammer group.
If you have suggestions for contributions, or you have questions about this guide, please use the Livefyre comments section on this page.