Introduction to device licenses in Microsoft Intune
Microsoft Intune offers a device-only subscription service that helps organizations manage devices that aren't affiliated with specific users.
The Intune device subscription is licensed per device at a cost of $2 a month. For more information about the purpose of Intune device licensing, see Microsoft Intune announces device-only subscription for shared resources.
Original product version: Microsoft Intune
Original KB number: 4514392
How to purchase the device-only subscription
You can purchase device licenses based on your estimated usage. If the actual usage exceeds your current license limit, you don't have to purchase device licenses separately. You will be charged automatically when your devices are enrolled through any of the following methods:
- Windows Autopilot Self-Deploying mode
- Apple Device Enrollment Program without user affinity
- Apple School Manager without user affinity
- Apple Configurator without user affinity
- Android Enterprise dedicated
- Using a device enrollment manager account
All devices that are enrolled without user affinity will be assigned device licenses.
When a device is enrolled by using a device license, the following Intune functions aren't supported: