High CPU usage occurs when you run queries in SQL Server
This article helps you resolve the problem where high CPU usage occurs when you run queries in SQL Server.
Applies to: SQL Server
Original KB number: 2009160
When you operate a server that is running Microsoft SQL Server and that has a highly concurrent workload, you notice some performance issues in which queries contribute significantly to high CPU usage or extreme memory grant requests.
You may also experience other side effects, such as OOM conditions, memory pressure for plan cache eviction, or unexpected
Additionally, you may notice that query plans for queries that consume lots of CPU or memories have the OPTIMIZED attribute for a Nested Loops join operator set to True.
This issue occurs in some cases because SQL Server query processor introduces a sort operation for optimization, although it is not required. This operation is known as an Optimized Nested Loops or Batch Sort.
In these cases, the plan touches only a smaller number of rows, and the setup cost for the sort operation may outweigh its benefits. Therefore, it causes poor performance.
To fix the issue, use trace flag 2340 to disable the optimization. Alternatively, to disable the optimization at the query level, apply the following query hint:
USE HINT (DISABLE_OPTIMIZED_NESTED_LOOP)
Before you use this trace flag, you can test your applications thoroughly to make sure that you get the expected performance benefits when you disable this optimization. This is because the sort optimization can be helpful when there is a large increase in the number of rows that are touched by the plan.
- SQL Server 2019
- SQL Server 2017 on Windows (all editions)
- SQL Server 2017 on Linux (all editions)
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2010
- SQL Server 2008
- SQL Server 2008 Workgroup
- SQL Server 2008 Web
- SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services
- SQL Server 2008 Express
- SQL Server 2008 Enterprise
- SQL Server 2008 Developer- SQL Server 2005
- SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Evaluation Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Enterprise X64 Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition