Docking station external monitors not working when a Windows 10 version 1703-based portable computer is connected
This article provides a workaround for an issue where an external monitor connected to a docking station doesn't work when a Windows 10 version 1703-based portable computer is connected.
Applies to: Windows 10
Original KB number: 4051625
Consider the following scenario:
- You have external monitors that are connected to a docking station.
- You have a portable computer that is running Windows 10 version 1703.
- In Power Options, the Lid close action setting is configured to "Do nothing."
- You turn on the computer and then close the lid.
- You attach the computer to the docking station.
In this scenario, the computer doesn't detect the external monitors. Therefore, the external monitors display a black screen.
Use either of the following methods to force detection of the external monitors:
- Use the keyboard shortcut Win+Ctrl+Shift+B.
- In Display Settings, click the Detect button.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:
- Change Lid close action to any setting other than "Do nothing.". Before you make this change, make sure that the change does not affect your docking experience.
- Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1709 that does not have this issue.