Welcome to Microsoft School Data Sync
School Data Sync (SDS) is a free service in Office 365 for Education that reads the data from an educational institution's Student Information System (SIS). SDS was built with both K12 and higher education customers in mind.
SDS creates Office 365 Groups for Exchange Online and SharePoint Online, Class Teams for Microsoft Teams and OneNote Class Notebooks, Groups for Intune for Education, and rostering and SSO integration for many other third-party applications. Key app integration scenarios that SDS enables include:
SDS saves time for IT admins and educators, and enables SIS vendors, app partners, and system integrators to scale, differentiate, and personalize offerings for their customers. SDS benefits many audiences.
- Save time by automating creation of online classrooms and users
- Simplify security with a single, compliant source for user profiles and rosters that all classroom applications can use
- SDS mirrors data from the Student Information System (SIS) into Office 365 and Azure Active Directory, automates provisioning of online classrooms and educator and student accounts
- SDS enables any classroom application to access the encrypted cloud-based data through the no-cost API
- Spend less time creating classes, managing rosters and troubleshooting access to apps and shared online resources
- Enable the easy creation of Teams for Education, OneNote Class Notebooks, Office 365 Groups for online messaging, file sharing, and collaboration
- SDS integrates with many other education offerings and apps
- Support and connect to more apps through a single, no-cost API.
- Quickly and easily provide app partners with access to student data, allowing them to focus on differentiation, not app integration.
- Provide customers with a single sign-on to their applications that “just works”.
- SDS enables app partners to spend less time integrating with different SIS systems, and more time creating personalized experiences for teachers and students.
- No-cost API works with multiple SIS providers, operating systems, and devices.
- Save educational institutions time by integrating their SIS with Office 365.
- Build export/import processes for each customer, or write cloud connectors that can scale across multiple schools, entities, and departments helping them keep their user profiles and class rosters up to date.
To learn more about how customers are using SDS, please visit https://sds.microsoft.com.