Quick restore from busted WinPE 2.0
Possibly a random scenario, but I thought worth sharing. My specific instance was during a deployment to a Windows 2000 system. The deployment went fine until it got into WinPE 2.0, where it failed. However, rebooting the system would just restart into WinPE. So here's a process to fix a system to boot back into Windows 2000.
- In WinPE, del c:\bootmgr and rmdir c:\boot.
- Copy boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com from a known good system, and attrib +s +h all three files.
- Connect to the deployment server and run Z:\Tools\x86\bootsect.exe /nt52 c: to fix the boot sector.
- Restart, logon, and let the task sequence fail.
- Delete C:\_SMSTaskSequence.