Improve .Net Applications Performance Effectively And Efficiently
How to anticipate or better off avoid performance related "surprises" during load and stress testing?
Apply performance engineering practices throughout SDLC (Software Development LifeCycle). Here are major talking points, tools, resources, and further reading.
Performance Engineering Frame
In order to focus and streamline Performance Engineering tasks throughout the development lifecycle ask the following questions
- How to cache data?
- How to handle communications?
- How to handle concurrency?
- How to handle components’ coupling/cohesion?
- How to perform data access?
- What algorithms to use?
- How to handle exceptions?
- How to handle resource management?
- How to handle state management?
More info - Performance Frame. Pay special attention to performance threats and performance vulnerabilities.
Development phases and related activities
- Envision Phase
- Identify requirements and objectives.
- Conduct performance awareness training.
- Architecture and Design Phase
- Implementation/Coding Phase
- Testing Phase
- Guidance Explorer (create guidelines documents, inspection checklists)
- p&p Practices Checker – performance (conduct code inspection)
- WCAT (generate load/stress)
- Ajax View (measure during development)
- SQL Server Profiler (measure during load/stress tests)
- Microsoft Network Monitor 3 (helpful in conjunction with 3rd party tools like NetworkSmart from LeadByte)
- Fiddler (measure during development and load/stress tests)
- IIS Logs (examine during development and testing)
- .Net Profiler of your choice (measure during development)
- Perfmon (measure during development and load/stress tests)