How to change Registry Permissions with RegIni.exe (VBScript)
Hi all, welcome back,
Today I'll show how we can set the following permissions on a registry key with RegIni.exe and a VBScript:
- Creator Owner Full Control
- Users Full Control
- Power Users Full Control
- Administrators Full Control
- System Full Control
I will set the permissions here for testing purposes:
And for that I will need to create a special regini.exe script which will have the following contents:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AlejaCMaTypelib [1 5 7 11 17] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\AlejaCMaCo\AlejaCMaApp [1 5 7 11 17]
- With regini.exe I won't be able to set Users Full Control, but Everyone Full Control.
- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes
See the following articles for details on the values used in the regini script:
- How to Use Regini.exe to Set Permissions on Registry Keys
- How to: Use a Script to Change Registry Permissions from the Command Line
And here you have the VBScript that will use regini.exe and its script:
' Create temp file with the script that regini.exe will use ' set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") strFileName = oFSO.GetTempName set oFile = oFSO.CreateTextFile(strFileName) oFile.WriteLine "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AlejaCMaTypelib [1 5 7 11 17]" oFile.WriteLine "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\AlejaCMaCo\AlejaCMaApp [1 5 7 11 17]" oFile.Close ' Change registry permissions with regini.exe ' set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") oShell.Run "regini " & strFileName, 8, true ' Delete temp file ' oFSO.DeleteFile strFileName WScript.Echo "Done!"
I hope it helps.
Alex (Alejandro Campos Magencio)