Goodbye Microsoft, Hello Caradigm
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein.
I am moving on. I am leaving Microsoft and joining Caradigm, a Microsoft/GE joint venture, as security engineer. I won’t be updating this blog going forward. I will keep blogging on my personal blog at www.PracticeThis.com.
I was with Microsoft for 8 years, 6 years as a Principal Consultant with MCS (Microsoft Consulting Services) in the field working with enterprise customers and 2 years as Senior Programming Writer in Server and Cloud Division creating content for identity related technologies – WIF, AD FS, ACS, Graph API – and how they fit in the cloud dev story.
Here are few highlights related to my tenure at Microsoft.
Principal Consultant at Microsoft Consulting Services (2004 - 2010)
- On-hire took on struggling big project (hundreds of billable hours) and drove to customer’s success and as a result signing up for another three years retainer.
- Created and delivered Security Engineering delivery kit, generated pipeline to allow to hire two more security consultants.
- Created and delivered Performance Engineering delivery kit, generated pipeline to help another consultant to get off the bench beyond my utilization and capacity.
- Received WW Services CTO award for services community contribution in security engineering space.
- 6 years of utilization consistently above the target without burnout. This is how (slides avail here).
- Contributed for several patterns&practices guides: Improving Web Services Security, Team Development with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server, A Guide to Claims-Based Identity and Access Control (2nd Edition)
- Made ton of friends at Microsoft, with Customers, and within the Industry.
Sr. Programming Writer at Server and Cloud Division (2010 - 2012)
- Developed Information Architecture (IA) for developers content. Applied the IA for WIF, ACS, Graph API, AD FS SDK and RMS SDK content.
- Developed and applied Agile Content Engineering practices.
- Drove delivery and created original content for ACS 2.0.
- Drove delivery and created original content for WIF 4.5 through BUILD, Beta, and RC milestones.
- Drove AD FS SDK content improvements.
- Drove delivery and created original content for Graph API.
- Created original content for Windows Azure Security Guidance.
Things I Have Learned
This is partial list of things I have learned during my tenure at Microsoft:
- How to apply proven engineering practices
- How to ask cutting questions
- How to ask for effective feedback and give one
- How to assess architecture, code, and deployment of an app
- How to avoid paralysis by analysis
- How to be ahead of the pack
- How to be aligned with business
- How to be always prepared to move on
- How to build a knowledge map
- How to build commitments and deliver on it
- How to build network of v-peers using WIIFM
- How to carry out a simple message to the masses about complex topic
- How to coach/mentor and be coached/mentored
- How to cope with tough people
- How to cope with tough situations
- How to deliver value incrementally
- How to discover latent needs
- How to distinguish doing vs. achieving and focus on the later
- How to drive execution forward
- How to effectively communicate on emails and verbally
- How to get in the game quickly
- How to give effective presentation
- How to hold effective meetings
- How to identify and avoid drainers and stick with catalysts
- How to invest time in technology that matters
- How to know what’s hot and what’s not
- How to listen to customer needs
- How to manage conflict
- How to manage emails
- How to manage energy
- How to manage information
- How to manage time
- How to manage up (vs. kiss up)
- How to win hearts and minds optimizing around usefulness and usability
- How to plan and deliver daily, weekly, monthly, and annually
- How to prepare to interview (as interviewer and interviewee)
- How to read the signs time to move on
- How to reduce friction
- How to sell an idea to difference audiences
- How to set clarity on vision, mission, values, deliverables, execution
- How to share information effectively
- How to use social media to collect feedback and drive adoption
- How to write sample code that others can use effectively and efficiently
- How to write effective guidance
Thank you, Microsoft, and thank you all who helped and inspired me along the way.
My LinkedIn profile is here. Connect with me. Recommend me.