Updates on Retiring Microsoft Exams and Certification
As technology changes, we add new exams and revise or retire older exams. Our goal is to provide at least 6 months notice prior to retirement to give you an opportunity to finish earning your certification. Note that both the exams and their planned retirement date are subject to change, and we encourage you to check the exam retirement page regularly for the latest information.
Keep in mind that even if an exam that is part of a certification you earned is retired, your certification is still valid. When an exam you passed is retired, the exam record remains on your transcript. If you’re working toward a certification that includes one of the exams listed for retirement, please be sure to take the exam prior to the retirement date. Allow time for a retake if necessary.
Here are the highlights and important updates/changes from what was previously announced:
- Windows Client exams, 70-687 and 70-688, retirement dates have been extended to July 31, 2016. The associated MCSA will retire on January 31, 2016 as will the upgrade exams, 70-689 and 70-692. As previously announced, the MCSA: Windows 7 certification retires on November 30, 2015, but the associated exams will remain in market and earn a Specialist credential. To earn a Specialist credential on Windows 10, take 70-697!
- The Lync exam retirement dates were extended to March 30, 2016. Exams on Skype will replace these exams and will be in beta soon. Stay tuned!
- Microsoft Dynamics exams on CRM 2011 will retire on January 31, 2016.
- The SharePoint 2010 developer and ITPro exams will retire on July 31, 2016.
- The SQL Server 2008 upgrade exams will retire on January 31, 2016, while the remaining SQL 2008 exams will retire on July 31, 2016.
- The remaining Visual Studio and .NET Framework 4 exams will retire on July 31, 2016.
- Several MTA exams are retiring on July 31, 2016 as is 70-673.
Want more details on retiring exams? Check the exam retirement page.
If you have any questions about exam retirement, please contact your regional service centre.