Photo Collage with Digital Image Pro 10
I found this great post by Mike Matas (via tuaw) about how you can create these really cool collages using iPhoto on the Mac. That got me thinking that this could also be done in Digital Image Pro 10. It actually works! And I think you might end up with a little more flexibility in the end because of the extra tools that Digital Image Pro has for adding text and doing touchup.
Here are the steps:
- In Microsoft Digital Image Library (Part of Digital Image Pro), select
the photos that you want to add to your collage. You'll need about 48 photos
for an 8 by 10 page. (For this example, I just used some old photos from a Florida vacation I happened to have on my laptop.)
- From the File menu in Digital Image Library, choose Print Index Sheet.
This will open Digital Image Pro.
- Use the wizard to print the index sheet. Set the size of the page to something that approximates the poster you want to create. This can make for a pretty big file, so you can use a virtual printer driver like the one from Office 2003 or CutePDF if you don't want to print
the page yourself.
- On the second panel of the Print Index Sheet wizard, make sure to check
Keep this file opened in the Files pallet so I can save. After you
click the Print button, you'll have Digital Image Pro project that you can
save, adjust, crop, or edit.
- Save the project in the graphic format of your choice and then use any
online printing service to get your poster printed. (I haven't tried this
yet, but I'm guessing it will work just fine.)
Here's a link to the finshed file. In addition to making a cool poster, this looks like a great way to make some
sweet wallpaper for your desktop. :) I would imagine that you could do this in any
of the currently available consumer photo software and lets you create contact
sheets. Let me know if this works for you.