Most of you know that I spent the most time in the past writing Windows clients instead of Web clients. There are lots of reasons for this, and it's not that I don't like writing apps for the web, it just seems that Windows apps was where my customer base was at the time - well over time, as it turns out...
Anyway, I wanted to make sure that all you WinForms and Smart Client folks got some information on the latest tool-integrated prescriptive guidance offering from Microsoft - codename Acropolis. Acropolis is the evolution of CAB (Composite UI Application Block) and SCSF (Smart Client Software Factory) that builds on the previous releases into something more powerful. With support for WPF, WF and a rich XAML-based designer to wrap it all up, Acropolis builds on the power and flexibility of CAB, taking it to the next level:
- Quickly create WPF enabled user experiences for your client applications.
- Build client applications from reusable, connectable, modules that allow you to easily create complex, business-focused applications in less time.
- Integrate and host your modules in applications such as Microsoft Office, or quickly build stand-alone client interfaces.
- Change the look and feel of your application quickly using built-in themes, or custom designs using XAML.
- Add features such as workflow navigation and user-specific views with minimal coding.
- Manage, update, and deploy your application modules quickly and easily.
There's an introductory video I suggest that you watch, to give you more information about this cool guidance asset. Also, as you develop Acropolis applications, let me know by posting some info in the comments, and discuss your experiences directly with the product team (and other developers) in the Acropolis Forums.