Upgrade Toolkit for WSS Sites and Templates Guide Published
Microsoft has published the Upgrade Toolkit for WSS Sites and Templates Guide at 4th,Jan 2007. Personally I suggest our partners or customers read it firstly before upgrading or migrating your current WSS v2 to v3. Below is the detail introduction:
Guidance and tools to enable IT Pros to upgrade custom Windows® SharePoint® Services 2.0 sites and templates to function in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 environments.
The Toolkit serves three main purposes:
- To provide IT professionals with the guidance and tools they need to upgrade customized Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 sites and site templates to function in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 environment.
- To provide a set of upgraded application templates for Windows SharePoint Services based on those currently published for Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 on TechNet.
- To provide instructions for installing these application templates in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 environment.
The 60 page guide covers the following topics:
- Ch 1: Introduction. Introduces the Upgrade Toolkit for Windows SharePoint Services Sites and Templates, explaining its purpose, scope, audience, and contents.
- Ch 2: Planning Your Template Upgrade. Examines the site and site template upgrade process from beginning to end and gives you necessary information for planning your upgrade strategy. It explains that the upgrade process has two stages: one to perform before your Windows SharePoint Services environment is upgraded to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, and one to perform after the upgrade.
- Ch 3: Preparing a Site Template Based on a Customized Site Definition. If you determine, based on Chapter 2, that one or more of your site templates are based on customized site definitions, this chapter will familiarize you with upgrade definition files and new site definitions.
- Ch 4: Stage 1: Before Upgrading to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. Describes the Stage 1 site template upgrade steps that you must perform before starting the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 upgrade.
- Ch 5: Stage 2: After Upgrading to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. Describes the Stage 2 site template upgrade steps that you must perform after finishing the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 upgrade.
- Ch 6: The Upgraded Application Templates for Windows SharePoint Services. Lists and describes the function of each of the upgraded application templates for Windows SharePoint Services and gives you detailed instructions for installing the application templates in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 environment.
- Ch 7: Troubleshooting. Provides workarounds and fixes for problems you may encounter.
- Appendix: Glossary. Lists the relevant terms used in this solution accelerator.