Microsoft Startups Competition
The future of computing is being forged today. As a startup, you are using your vision to solve problems in your society using technology. Microsoft’s mission is to Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. Microsoft Egypt is launching a new startup competition at Rise Up summit this year. The competition will be based on evaluating innovative solutions from Egyptian startups who develop new technical scenario/s* that matches the business rules. There will be 3 winners selected with a total award of LE 130,000
*Develop 1 Azure-backed mobile App running on Android or/& IOS using Xamarin How to participate:
- You must be a startup with a maximum of four (4) team members
- Develop an app with a focus on solving a problem in society (Traffic, healthcare, transportation, etc.) in an innovative way, starting 27th of November 2016
- Your mobile app should be Azure-Backed running on Android or/& IOS and developed using Xamarin
- Check the technical requirements to qualify your app
- Attend Microsoft workshop on 27th & 28th of Nov. at the GrEEK campus to learn how to develop cloud – connected mobile Apps using Xamarin. Attendance will be based on registration. Register here
- Project submission will be on 1st of December after attending the hackathon to qualify for the Demo day
- Be ready to present your full plan (Business plan along with the app) during the Demo day on 8th of December at the GrEEK campus
- Finalists will be chosen to present at Riseup
|Concept||• Does the app have a clear target market or audience?• Does the app address a clear need, problem, or opportunity and is the solution clearly explained?||20%|
|Implementation||• Does the project make effective and appropriate use of the major features of its platform?• Does the project include innovations in technical design and/or implementation?• Does the project handles offline sync, push notifications and application life cycle management?||40%|
|Monetization||· Does the app apply any monetization model?· (Ads/Paid/Free Trials/In-App Purchase)||10%|
TERMS & CONDITIONS
In these rules “Microsoft”, “we”, “our”, and “us” refer to Microsoft Egypt a Limited Liability Company, the Sponsor of the Competition. “You”, “yourself” refers to an eligible Competition entrant.
AGREEMENT: In order to enter the contest, you must agree to these Official Rules (“Rules”). Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree.
Entry in the contest constitutes your acceptance of these official rules.
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the contest, you must be above the age of 18 (Eighteen) and a resident in Egypt at the time of entry. Contest is void in all countries except Egypt. Employees, interns, contractors, and official office-holders of Microsoft and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective directors, officers, employees, advertising and promotion agencies, representatives, agents, and Judges are ineligible to participate in this contest. Microsoft reserves the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time. If you are entering as part of a company or on behalf of your employer, these rules are binding on you, individually, and/or your employer. If you are acting within the scope of your employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, you warrant that such party has full knowledge of your actions and has consented thereto, including your potential receipt of a prize. You further warrant that your actions do not violate your employers or company’s policies and procedures.
SELECTION OF WINNERS: Contest will start on 27th of Nov. 2016 for all Eligible Entries and winners will be selected by a panel of Microsoft employees and Partner.
By accepting a prize, Entrant agrees and consents to Microsoft and their agencies use of entrant’s place of residence, name, and/or likeness to name the entrant for a reasonable time after completion of the contest in promotional and advertising material of Microsoft (or its agents) as a winner of the contest without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
PUBLICITY. By accepting a prize, entrant agrees to Microsoft and its agencies use of his or her name and/or likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
INDEMNIFICATION: To the maximum extent permitted by law, each entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified contest Entities at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the contest Entities from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any App or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by the entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the entrant in connection with the contest; (c) any non-compliance by the entrant with these Rules; (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to the entrant’s involvement with the contest; (e) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any contest -related activity or participation in this contest; (f) any malfunction or other problem with the contest Site; (g) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry information; or (h) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners.
GOVERNING LAW: The contest is governed by the laws of Egypt and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Cairo courts for any disputes arising out of this contest.
ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the contest by any entrant concerning identity, address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the contest.
RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the contest, Microsoft reserve the right at their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. Sponsors further reserve the right to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the contest. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Microsoft reserves the right to seek damages from any such entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of the certificate to the contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with Microsoft. You acknowledge that you have submitted your certificate voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. You acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between you and Microsoft and that no such relationship is established by your submission of the certificate under these Rules.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Each entrant has the responsibility to review and understand its policies regarding its eligibility to participate in this contest. If an individual is participating in violation of Entrant's policies or any applicable law or regulation, that Entrant may be disqualified from this contest at the Organizer’s sole discretion.
- 1st place winner 60,000 EGP
- 2nd place winner 40,000 EGP
- 3rd place winner 30,000 EGP
Microsoft Egypt reserves the right to substitute the Prizes for other prizes of equal or greater value.
- Prize cannot be exchanged for cash or any other prize
- Microsoft Egypt will not be liable for any corrupted prize once the prize has been given to the winner.
- The winner must present the National ID
- All prizes must be collected from the Microsoft booth during the contest time otherwise a new winner will be selected
- Microsoft reserves the right to delay the submission of the prize in case of shipping issues.
The winner will be announced during Riseup Summit
DURATION OF COMPETITION:
- CONTEST PERIOD: The contest begins on 27th of November, 2016 and ends on 10th of December 2016 (“Contest Period”). Entries must be received within the contest Period to be eligible.
- No correspondence will be entered into regarding either this contest or these Terms and Conditions.
- In the unlikely event of a dispute, Microsoft Egypt decision shall be final.
- Microsoft Egypt reserves the right to amend, modify, cancel or withdraw this contest at any time without notice.
- Microsoft Egypt cannot guarantee the performance of any third party and shall not be liable for any act or default by a third party.
- Participants in this contest agree that Microsoft Egypt will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, costs, damage or disappointment of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly from acceptance, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in this contest.
- Microsoft reserves the right to disqualify any participant that does not adhere to the terms and conditions or make any change to the terms and conditions at any point of the contest.