SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practice Analyzer Released
After a discussion last week at the ZA SQL Server User Group meeting around the scanning and managing your SQL environment for best practice deployment using the Best Practice Analyzer (BPA) or Policy-Based Management (formerly known as the Declarative Management Framework (DMF)). Well yesterday Microsoft released the SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practice Analyzer, how is that for good timing to support some of our discussion.
The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 BPA provides similar to the functionality provided by SQL Server 2005 BPA diagnostic tool and performs the following functions:
- Gathers information about a Server and a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2 instance installed on that Server
- Determines if the configurations are set according to the recommended best practices
- Reports on all configurations, indicating settings that differ from recommendations
- Indicates potential problems in the installed instance of SQL Server
- Recommends solutions to potential problems